Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the size of the air intake pipes of the GTV 2.0TS? and what degree bend I need from the throttle body. Basically my air intake pipe has split, the one that connects to the throttle body. So Im thinking of replacing the split pipe with a silicon elbow and connecting a breather to the pipe that would normally plug back into this pipe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
45 degree elbow with 76mm inside diameter is what you need
Thank you. Will it be ok to fit a breather on the pipe that normally goes back into this elbow pipe? will it effect anything? anyone know the diameter of this pipe?

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello just fitted silicone hoses to my 2.0ts air intake
all you need is a 90 bend with 150mm long legs and a 45
bend again with 150mm legs and a pipe joiner
the pipes are 70mm internal measurement and you will
need a crank breather filter with a 15mm neck
I reused the clips on the throttle body and the maf and
bought two to join he pipes together
30 min job well worth it

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Question for anyone who knows about MOT requirements:

Because the crankcase breather has 2 paths, 1 before and 1 after the butterfly... can't you just plug the one before. Crankcase can still breathe OK, or does the vacuum in the inlet cause a problem?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Put a nipple on the metal pipe you use to connect the two silicon bends then you can keep the breather oe.
If you want to remove the one from the inlet pipe you have to blank the one going into the manifold or you will have mixture problems.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want to remove the one from the inlet pipe you have to blank the one going into the manifold or you will have mixture problems.
How would I blank it off and which one do you mean please? any photos anyone?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The one running from the tappet cover to the Manifold.

I would suggest that you ad a nipple to the inlet pipe and keep all the breathers in place.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would suggest that you ad a nipple to the inlet pipe and keep all the breathers in place
You say add a nipple to the inlet pipe to keep all the breathers in place which I agree with you on as this would be my preferred option but can you suggest anything to allow me to connect the breather back in. That joiner piece from the photo I linked too isnt currently available.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
What works nice is a PCV valve (similar to the one on the inlet manifold)
You remove its internals (the valve) and use it as a nipple on the connecting pipe.
You drill an appropriate size hole in the metal connecting pipe and tap thread for the PCV valve.
Now you just bolt it in place.
I am sure you would get a nipple of the correct size at a Hydraulic shop as well.

If all of this is a problem you can probably go to an exhaust shop and ask them to make a 76mm pipe with a small pipe on its side for the breather.
If I remember correctly the small pipe should have an outer diameter of 18mm

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My pipe turned up today :) cant wait for the weekend to finally fix this split pipe, very excited. I thought I would update the thread to let people know that this eBay seller can make any combo of sizes you want. He made me a 76mm with a single 15mm spout coming off it :) job, job.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My pipe turned up today :) cant wait for the weekend to finally fix this split pipe, very excited. I thought I would update the thread to let people know that this eBay seller can make any combo of sizes you want. He made me a 76mm with a single 15mm spout coming off it :) job, job.
I think I used the same chap, his website is here:
Untitled Document
He was very helpful

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Question for anyone who knows about MOT requirements:

Because the crankcase breather has 2 paths, 1 before and 1 after the butterfly... can't you just plug the one before. Crankcase can still breathe OK, or does the vacuum in the inlet cause a problem?
Actually I tried using only the connection on the throttle body, and there must be a valve in there somewhere and it didnt allow all the pressure to escape and makes an awful noise.
Works ok with just the one before the throttle though. (PH1 TS if it makes any difference)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Ahh thats interesting you say that Ian, because I've got it setup like that now (throttle body breather connected and the inlet pipe breather is open to atmosphere with a little filter)

And no horrible noises, car actually [seemingly] running better

So when you tried I guess you blocked off the inlet pipe breather?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Ahh thats interesting you say that Ian, because I've got it setup like that now (throttle body breather connected and the inlet pipe breather is open to atmosphere with a little filter)
Umm, so the two outlets from your rocker cover, one has a filter, the other is connected to the throttlebody?

Internally at the rocker cover end these are the same, so if thats how yours is set up, in theory, the throttle body can pull air via the little filter, thus bypassing the maf? In practise its probably positive pressure, which is mostly being blown out the filter.

When I tried it there was effectively one connection from the rocker cover, and this went to the throttle body, which it didnt like!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts