Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over some of the past couple of posts's I've read that some uneven running could be due to the air flow sensor and the solution is to clean it.

Does anybody know how to do this?
Where is it situated and how do you dismantle it?
What do you clean it with?

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in cleaning this sensor especially if it improves the running of the car.

Any answers would be gratefully appreciated by all.
:confused: :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think it is the sensor that sticks out of the pipe just after your air filter box. There was a picture under the K&N filters thing I posted today and can't remember where it is!!!

·
Banned
477 Posts
Sorry to drag this out from the depths of history. After my post regarding lumpy running and injector light problems I took it to a local diagnostic centre, and the only thing that came up was a problem with the air flow sensor, although it was still showing a voltage change when you pressed the load pedal.

As suggested by Wrinx, I checked the spark plugs and on the two most outer rubber seals there did appear to be a little moisture, could this be condensation? Any way dried them up and it did run a little better, but not 100%

I have found I can induce the problem- it worsens when I am coming off the accelerator- the car feels as though it is braking itself because the engine is not running smoothly, then the injector light flashes.

Just wondered if the air flow sensor can be cleaned and if so how and what with?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For 8 valves and the V6. If you remove the airbox and look into the Air Flow Meter (you have to unbolt the lid of the airbox from the AFM), you will see a little electrical "thingy" that looks like it comes from the inside of a TV or Radio. Clean it by spraying with carb cleaner.

For the 16 valves. After the airbox, you will see a plastic collar with a plug going to it. If you remove the airbox/pipe etc. to allow you to see into this collar, the "thingy" is in there. If you remove the collar, make sure you put it back on the correct way round (there is an arrow indicating airflow direction), or your car will run like shyte if it actually starts.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been having the same problem. Injector light coming on car stalling misfiring etc. I changed the cam cover seals cos the plugs were oiling up. I would also like to check the air flow filter but I'm not very mechanical. How do you clean it?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Very Very carefully the air mas flow meter is situated in pipe from throttle body to air filter box there is 2 devices the airflow meter is the larger the other is the air temp sensor ,the airflow meter does not have moving parts to clean be very carefull i broke mine and you cannot fix them ther are 2 types i know mine on 1.8 16v is about £260 to replace , you can clean by removing jubilee clip from airbox end and spray up pipe with carb and throttle body cleaner in spray can about a fiver from halfords ,do be carefull i was messing with mine when i broke the thin slither of glass that protrudes from bottom this has platinum wiring on it and cannot be fixed i think older 8v ones can be fixed ,the newer one are reffered to as being hot film air mass meters (i think).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Fletch Mine is a 2.0 16V will it be the same as yours? I was going to use carb cleaner as suggested earlier.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Steve, how much were you cam cover replacements and do you have the parts no.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure about prt numbers. I'll check tonight when I get home. They were about six quid from the dealer. There were two a large outer one and a smaller inner one. Cos my plugs were oiling I thought they may be leaking oil. But the car is still running rough now so I dont think that was it.

The sysmptoms are the same as the previous posts regarding thi sensor so thats my next job.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Steve How difficult is the job? I'm not to clued up on mechanicaly type things but I don't mind having ago

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry cant find invoice for part numbers but the ones listed earlier sound about right. Im not very mechanical as well but the job is pretty easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thread hijack..

Hey Steve A.. I spy you are in Newcastle.. great stuff. What car are you driving?

Cheers,
A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi fade2grey
Im driving a red 155 2.0 ts N reg bashed front end, looks like a heap but I like it. Had it a couple of years. Hoping to get to chesterfield to buy a bumper off Tim. Is it you with the Q4/ If so whats it like?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Air flow sensor cleaning. My V6 had an idle speed that 'hunted' from about 500 (i.e. almost stalling) to 1500rpm when started from cold. It took ages to settle down. Removing the air inlet and watching the air flow sensor made it obvious that this was the cluprit. Yesterday I cleaned the air flow sensor (the whole unit, not just the little 'bit' at the front) and the car is transformed. The whole unit was black and sludgy inside (from the breather pipes just up the line, I guess) and I used carburettor cleaner to clean it all up so that it shines. BUT.... (2 buts, actually) firstly, remove the sensor from the trunking before you do this, otherwise all the dislodged dirt gets sucked into the engine and, second, make sure you lubricate the flap mechanism either with 3 in 1 oil or LOTS of WD40 otherwise it won't move smoothly because the carb cleaner removes all lubrication as well as dirt. This whole process takes about 20 minutes (maybe I was quick because it was cold outside!) and is well worth doing for the difference it makes.

Ian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Ian

I think it would be a great idea to just clean it all but i think i'll wait for higher temps outside. One thing i didn't realy understand though: Which part exactly did you lubricat with WD40 and where is it located ?

Hammer

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i think he is talkin about idle controll valve as airflow meter on my 16v does not have moving parts sealed unit , the thing hes describing is on top of throttle body maybe?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On my car I have (in the direction of the airflow) the air filter box, short trunking, air flow meter (alloy box with 'square' pattern on top), short trunking with two crank-case breather pipes entering, then throttle body and plenum chamber.

I removed the air filter box cover with attached trunking to gain access to the inlet of the air flow meter. There is a small sensor mounted in it's 'floor' and behind that a flap (closed when the engine isn't running). This is what needs cleaning and it's pivots lubricating. On the V6 the pivot is on the side nearest the windscreen.

Maybe the 16v has a different injection system to the V6?

Try taking the car for a longish drive to warm it up properly and then do the work - the heat from the engine should be enough to keep your fingers warm for at least 20 minutes!

Ian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Ian

I guess we can say that the air intake is not the same for V6/16V, because your description does not match my 2.0 16V. But cleaning it all would be a good idea for both systems i gues.

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The V6 and 16 valves are different. The V6 and 8 valves have the same airbox/airflow meter set-up.

Marlon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts