1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
615 Posts
1/ Don't bother buying any MAF unless it's a Bosch unit, you'll just be wasting your money.

2/ MAF problems don't normally cause "Misfires". Have you removed the coil packs and checked to see if you have water/oil down the spark plug tubes? While you're there also check to see if any of the coil packs show any cracking, which can also cause misfiring.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Get the codes. That will narrow down the possible causes. My TS had the codes for #1 coil pack, turned out that the wiring loom to it had frayed by the bulkhead where it had rubbed against a sharp edge on the reflective insulation; without the codes it's basically guess work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
But you could always clean the existing MAF. Lots of instructions on youtube which all basically say - Soak off the oil that might be on the tiny filament using isopropyl alcohol (nail varnish remover) . Be careful, it's delicate. But a simple enough job.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Carefull with the nail varnish remover whilst it may contain some isopropyl alcohol it will also contain ethyl acetate which will attack many plastics including the widely used ABS. Or it will be propanone (acetone to use its old name) which is also a solvent of many plastics. Either may contain lanolin which is a grease recovered from wool and that will not help. Use electrical contact cleaner or pure isopropyl alcohol. That's been a bit tricky to get cheaply as it is used in hand sanitisers.
I still think you need to get the fault codes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
armoore is correct - I have lots of 100% isopropyl alcohol at work so only used that....

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Not been hoarding it have you? ;) The one we used when I worked on IBM 360 computers and the tape drives needed cleaning was:-
1.1.1. Trichloroethane, brilliant at cleaning stuff but banned now as there are severe problems with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get the codes. That will narrow down the possible causes. My TS had the codes for #1 coil pack, turned out that the wiring loom to it had frayed by the bulkhead where it had rubbed against a sharp edge on the reflective insulation; without the codes it's basically guess work.
I can't figure out how to get any codes, I was offered the use of an OBD reader but there doesn't appear to be anywhere to plug it in. It's a '98 phase 1 with an aluminium cover if it helps.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
That won't have the usual OBD port, it is too early. There's one located elsewhere, I believe there are a few 3 pin connectors; under the bonnet, in the footwell etc. Some garages won't have the apparatus unless they have keep older devices or have the adaptor. My knowledge is restricted where this is concerned but others will know about it. There is a section on MultiEcuScan explaining and describing it. Here's a link for you to look at:-

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My ph1 has a 3 pin connector behind the passenger side bit of removable carpet to the right of the footwell,where the radio connectors are

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ok, while you're trying to work out where & how to use the 3 pin connectors, which wont work with anything but dedicated Alfa Diagnostic software, (MES, AlfaOBD ect) may I suggest -

"Remove the coil packs and check to see if you have water/oil down the spark plug tubes!
While you're there also check to see if any of the coil packs show any cracking, which can also cause misfiring."

Though this may not be the actual cause in your case, it is one of the MOST common problems in these cars that cause misfires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, my poor spider has started misfiring at low revs & it's been suggested to me that the sir flow sensor may be the cause. I've found this place MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR » ALFA ROMEO Spider 916, 916S (06.1995 - 04.2005) 2.0 T.SPARK 16V (916S2C00) 150 HP 1970 ccm Petrol » lower price offering yhem at an incredible price, has anyone used yhem and would you recommend them?
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
I had a similar issue with my 1999 spider, missed at low revs and wouldnt rev past 5000. Tried cleaning the MAF which made the problem worse, idicating the MAF was faulty. Bought a new MAF from Bulgaria, problem fixed. Dont know about just buying bosch, Ive had a few faulty bosch parts in the last few years making me think bosch is the new lucas. The new MAF cost $50 delivered to Australia, for that price just replace it and forget about downloading codes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts