Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, Green Cotton and a couple of others do them.
There is a conical filter housed inside the alloy cover. The filter has a little propeller on the end which with the shape of the housing promotes a "turbine" effect and sucks the air in.

Rubbish I think as the ram air effect would be far greater than any piddley fan trying to suck the air in faster at speed.

Why'd you ask ???

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i just saw it in a magazine and wondered if anybody has used one.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, seen one too.
The blurb talks about the housing reducing heat. However the idea is to put the housing in the engine bay and pipe air into it. Surely, that is the same thing as using a panel filter in its factory fit box? And quite frankly, the idea of a little turbine is total arse because the cone filter would normalise the air flow after filtering anyway!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just had fitted a BMC air filter called a Carbon Dynamic Airbox.
It was fitted mainly to eliminate the risk of water getting sucked through the low air intake in the front bumper.This now sits high up where a K&N would fit.
The induction roar is great if you accelerate hard enough and it has greatly improved mid range torque.
As l don't have a picture of it on the car yet click on the link for more details: BMC Air Filters

Only had it on a few weeks but so far so good.

---------------
Ian H

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will notice an improvement over the OE filter with any Free-er Flowing filter, cone or panel.

Marlon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True, but you have got to rev it quite high to get the advantage!
Not a problem I hear you all cry!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking for a better filter for my V6. I spoke to Jano at Autodelta and he reckons that all the induction kits on the market are rubbish. I guess this explains why my fairly modified engine still has a standard filter.

Anyway, I looked at the BMC website and they don't list a kit for the 155. Ian, is yours a V6 or a twin spark and did you get an off-the-shelf kit or is it a custom one?

They seem slightly pricey but they do make impresive claims for power increase so it's probably worth it.

Ian

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of people here seem to favour a better panel filter. BMC do one and AO shop sell them. I use one and the car reaches redline much easier and you don't get that deafening RAAAAARGH !!! you hear with an induction kit which simply drowns out that nice Alfa rasp.

Marlon

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'll try a different panel filter (K&N or BMC) first and see how it goes, then - either would be cheaper than a full induction kit. I just hate the thought that a few extra bhp are a matter of £100 away....!

Cheers

Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts