Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been looking at ways to make my 2.0 JTS GTV breath a little better............ Over the last month or so I've noticed it's driving a lot more responsively............. and I'm reliably informed it's be cause the air into the engine is cooler this time of year.......... Makes sense !!!

So, again I'm told that fitting a 156 intake to the filter box and removing a thing called a resonator ???? ........ No doubt I'll know what it is when I see it ???? .......... will be a good mod.

I've decided against fitting an induction kit, I'm not sure the cost / benefit equation works too well.......... Unless someone can tell me different????

I was thinking of fitting a "K&N" filter. But I read someplace on here that "oiled" filters are not such a good idea as the oil residue can **** up the reeds in the MAF .............. So is there a good alternative sports filter I could use ?????

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have to get an induction kit get the enclosed BMC CDA type, exposed cones are total baws imo.
Do you have a BMC CDA induction kit fitted ??? .......... are the oiled filters ???

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have to get an induction kit get the enclosed BMC CDA type, exposed cones are total baws imo.

They are also £ 180 for the GTV JTS 2.0 ............. That's a lot of cash, for that money I want to see a noticeable result, not just some placebo effect from it being a little louder........

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
377 Posts
This placebo effect is exactly what you'll get with the K&N. I've used both in the past and the enclosed was noticeably better than the K&N, more pull in low revs and a nice throaty roar too.

EDIT: the K&N will be louder btw

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This placebo effect is exactly what you'll get with the K&N. I've used both in the past and the enclosed was noticeably better than the K&N, more pull in low revs and a nice throaty roar too.

EDIT: the K&N will be louder btw
So you reckon it's worth spending £ 180 on then ????

cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's your prerogative. I wouldn't now as I think all induction kits are a waste of time, last one I bought was a BMC @ £120.

That's what I was thinking, I wasn't intending to fit a K&N induction setup............. I'd just like the exisiting airbox setup to breath easier, but I'm concerned about the oil on a replacement K&N filter in the existing airbox screwing up the reeds on the MAF..........

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I always stick by the fact that an induction tract or hosing is far more important than the filter itself.

At an R+D day at the rolling road last year I saw a BMCtwin cone filter (not CDA) gaining just over 3bhp on the stock hosing.

When coupled with some properly designed single piece induction hosing this rose to over 9bhp with the same filter/same day/same rollers.

A properly engineered custom induction will see very beneficial results but, unfortunately the cost issue of this route often outweighs the benefits for most.

I am not too experienced with the CDA, but if you want a filter of good quality that will prob add (realistically) four bhp with a butchered standard hose then thats fine.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
I have a K & N on mine, was fitted when I bought the car and so far, touch wood, no problems.

Whether or not it improves performance I can't say but it costs me a tenner extra per year on the insurance ! The induction noise is quite nice !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts