Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 2.0L 16V TS 155, widebody.
It was given to me by my dad when he decided to get all boring and buy a volvo 850 turbo.
Well orderd som suspension, nothuign to flash, Kayaba gas struts allround, with 40mm lowering springs, all for just £250.

What i now require is an uprated air filter. ive looked on the piper cross site and they do a panel filter for it, bit i was looking more along the lines of an induction kit. Do any of you guys now of any good ones ??

Also have any of you heard of 'sprint filters', my dad had one on his lancia thema also 2.0L 16V. It was also a direct replacment, but sounded bob on.

Your help would be greatly apperciated

Dom

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Dom,

Induction Kits for a 155 valve.....AlfaDaley sorry I mean AlfaOwner is your man :D

MAK

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone experimented with a filter not specifically for a 155? Many who tune their cars manage to adapt something not meant for their model, ie WRC cone filters etc etc. Would a filter with greater potential induction volume be beneficial (if cool air could be channelled to it) or could it be harmful?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rob,

Not an expert by any means but I think there is only so much that can be gained without forced induction e.g.Turbo/supercharging.

I would think it logical to persume that a filter specifically designed for a car model would be best as it is in that manufacturer's interest to get the best possible gain they can as a marketing and sales point of view?

I know B.M.C which are designed and manufactured in Italy (also used on schumacher's car) are regarded by many as the best for Fuel injection road cars of which I think AlfaOwner can supply and has fitted to his 155 2.0 valve, hence why I mentioned it to Dom :D

Would be interesting to hear others views on this though of course.

Best regards

MAK

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there Alfisti,

Let me share something interesting with you regarding air filters. I have here in front of me the "European Car" magazine of Feb 1998. It has an article inside regarding an "air bath" system for a VW Vento/Jetta VR6.
At a speed of 100mph the car makes 167.3 hp with the standard air filter. With a K&N cone filter it makes only 164.4 hp at the same speed. What makes the K&N perform worse in that application is all that hot air it is inhaling. (That is why I only fitted the K&N panel filter.) The cooler the air, the more dense it is. Now with the "air bath" the VW made 169.5 HP at the same speed.
Now the air bath consists of a cone filter (free flowing), which lies in a plastic box, which has a flexible pipe the draws cool air from the front air dam. It seems to have a slight ram effect, but the box is not sealed.

I think it might be worth it to make something similar for the 155, to get as much cold air inside the manifolds as possible, for optimum gains.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I posted a query on this topic a couple of months back. Most people at the time agreed that an induction kit is not worth putting in (rather than a K&N/Green replacement panel)unless you do some very clever pipework to allow cold air into the system.

As it stands, the original specification filter and pipework is quite good. Apparently, to improve upon it you need to pipe air in from the wheel arch (the closest supply of cool air from outside of the engine bay). I guess that this could increase moisture and muck getting into the system tho'!! :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jacques, I think the VW filter you speak of is a Power Rohr (is it made by Bonrath?) or something similar. They look great and are functional too of course.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think that it needs clever piping as if this entails a huge amount of work.

2 lengths of heater duct tubing like those used on the original beetle coming from both ends of the lower/spoiler ends strapped with cable ties and laying some 12 inches from the filter or so will do the job spot on. (Approx 30 mins being careful).

Also improvements have been made in the last 3 years since the original K and N induction kit of which appears in the test (Many other makes have become as good and some have superseded them) had no piped cooling so obviously was only going to suck in warm air from the engine bay.

Numerous tests have been carried out where ordinary 'upgraded' panel filters have been matched against properly set up induction kits with ducting and are always greater in bhp gains. However the differences are very small maybe 1bhp and many people expect ludicrous improvements with either air filtration system which just isn't going to happen!

Other than that some of us who don't have boxer Alfa's love the sound they make :D

A tip for those who have 'sports' panel replacements though is to drill about 10 holes of around 8-10mm diameter in the bottom of the air box as this is also meant to improve the situation!

Hope some of it is of use

MAK

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi I fitted a K&N 57i cone on my 1.8 8v & i did notice a slight improvement, but i must agree that the cold air intake needs to be good, i do notice sometimes when standing in traffic for some time, the performance is affected until the temprature has dropped again, but when it is cold and moving it is fine.
Cheers PHIL GLOVER

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rob,
The filter I spoke of is from "MidKnight Motorsport" and is called Autobahn Design Quickflow Filter with Air Bath. (What a name...)
The filter element looks very much like a K&N. Probably also cotton filtering media.

Regards
Jacques

1 - 13 of 13 Posts