Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I removed the filter today to visually inspect it and see if it needs changing.

Got the lid off the air box and noticed a separate pipe resting on the top of the air box that extends down to almost the bottom.

What is this thing? It narrows in the middle to almost half the air routing pipes diameter! Seems like a bloody great restriction to me!

have any of you guys removed this? I'm tempted to take it out and see what happens :D

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Think people call that de-coning the filter box. Mines was already gone when I checked on her so can't talk about improvements.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Wont do any harm when I had an astra I always de-restricted the airbox and fitted a bigger intake (one from a vectra c) which did eliminate a flat spot low down, not got round to doing it to my bella yet but once the weather picks up and wimbledon is over I will be getting the hammer out :D

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I removed the cone on my old 156 JTS, I thought it was better with it in place tbh.

·
Registered
745 Posts
that pipe is for the variable length intake and helps low down torque.

I removed mine... induction noise is increased but you can feel a little torque loss at certain revs.. it's a comprimise... what you should be doin is the GTA intake mod! that is a much more noticable difference :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I took mine out too. I also noticed the loss of some of the low down torque, but the car felt as if it pulled better at higher revs. It also increased the MPG a little.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took mine out too. I also noticed the loss of some of the low down torque, but the car felt as if it pulled better at higher revs. It also increased the MPG a little.
I've put everything back together now and decided to leave it in there, I do a lot of town driving where low down torque is needed.

I am tempted to whip it out sometime soon just to hear what the induction noise is like!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
any more info on this at all???
If you mean "What do you do for GTA mod" then there are a few threads already.

Basically, on a TS (mine's a 2.0) you remove the resonator box that connects to the filter box (this saves a bit of weight) and replace it with a GTA intake pipe. £16 all in (complete with screw, washer, spacer etc)

More free revving and a niiiice note when you boot it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts