Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where the air filter resonator is and what it looks like? '04 156 JTD.

What is the likelihood that it could be damaged by running the drivers side up a kerb at speed? I had extensive undercarriage damage repaired under an insurance claim. However the car isn't running right and I've been advised this might be why. If it is accident damage I am going to want to get the insurer to deal with it but when I take it back to them I'd like to be able to point at the suspect item.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
You haven't got a resonator in your JTD.

All the intake and intercooler stuff is on the passengers side anyway.

On the drivers side in the engine oil cooler, power steering & A/C bits.

What problems have you got?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power goes flat in the rev range 16-1800. Pulls off ok, goes flat, then starts pulling again after I have crawled past 2k. Zealous accelerating after that leads to little stutters, little hiccups in power, but which are only brief and you can pull through them as you continue to accelerate.

After my bump I knew the turbo was wrong but the crash repairer denied it was anything to do with the crash so I had it done under the Alfacare warranty. Alfa have messed me about something chronic and it has had 5 recon turbos as they try to sort me out on the cheap. The current one is the least bad but is still noisy and it still has the problem I have described.

When the dealer had the car this week they first said they couldn't find anything wrong. This is cobblers, my missus knows nothing about cars but umprompted has asked me what is wrong with it having driven it. I insisted they have another look and this is the response, I asked them to write it down for avoidance of doubt:

"Air filter resonator (box) split/broken. Suspect sucking in air and bypassing air flow sensor".

If you are telling me there is no resonator I am going to scream. I am at my wits end with this car and I feel like I have been treated really badly by Alfa and I just want this to end. I couldn't even sell it in its present state, I wouldn't want to do that because I love it but I can't carry on like this, it has been in 8 or 9 times in the last 3 months.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
There is no resonator on the JTD.

You obviously have an air filter housing, the MAF is fitted direct to the top of the filter housing. There is then a plastic pipe from there to the turbo inlet. Maybe they mean that part, it may have a chamber in it.
After the turbo you have a pipe to the intercooler (that pipe wears through on a stud on the gearbox). From the intercooler there is then the pipe to the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just had a look for myself, armed with what you have said. It can't have been accident damage. I find it very difficult to believe that an Alfa Romeo mechanic could replace the turbo on this vehicle 5 times without noticing damage to the air filter housing. So why have I had to go to so much trouble to get this information out of them? What are the chances they have broken it whilst fetching turbos on and off?

Still for my own sanity I think I am going to have to let this go. I wouldn't dream of having Alfa do anything to my car unless it was warranty work. If I'm paying for it myself I will be going back to trusty old Intaservices.

Is there anything that I have said here that might suggest the MAF is jiggered as well? I could do without more bad news but I'd rather brace myself for the worst if it is a possibility.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
There is no resonator on the JTD.
The Air Resonator is Part of duct 55181972, but your problem is more consisten with a faulty MAF or Stuck EGR, to test the MAF, unplug it and see if the problem persists. But I do really think the EGR is going to be the problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The EGR was replaced about two months ago when Alfa put the first replacement turbo on. They didn't tell me they were going to use a recon one but that is what the bill said. They also claim to have re-checked it when they had the car this week. I would like to think that Alfa would have established the state of the MAF already but the service I have had from them is so poor nothing bad surprises me any more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts