Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether it's worth upgrading the air filter on my 1.4 TB Multiair?
I was thinking of going down the K&N route as they supposedly have a million mile guarantee, but will it have any effect on the performance - and will that be a positive effect?
Are there other options people have tried and recommend, or should I just stick with the Alfa OEM part?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
When I was younger and dumber, I fitted K&N filters. Now no more. Their filtration efficiency is really sub par compared to OEM filters, and the added flow only makes a possible difference at Wide Open Throttle.

It's the most important filter of all if you want a long lasting engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I was younger and dumber, I fitted K&N filters. Now no more. Their filtration efficiency is really sub par compared to OEM filters, and the added flow only makes a possible difference at Wide Open Throttle.

It's the most important filter of all if you want a long lasting engine.
That is an interesting response.

I was under the impression that fitting a bmc or k&n added a few horses as well as accentuating the dump value noise.

For the record i fitted a bmc filter

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
OEM or aftermarket means for me OEM 51854025 or others. Direct flew KN or BMC stays about.
UFI 27.629.00, Bosch 026400298 are OK. Cheapest at my market Polish Filtron AR234/6 is also OK for use.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

Tidmarm, what difference did the BMC make? Were you happy with the results?

I may be being a bit naive here, but I have read in the likes of BMC and K&N product details that the filtration is actually better than the stock parts. This was part of the reason I was considering fitting one, I don't want to do anything that could harm the engine.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I may be being a bit naive here, but I have read in the likes of BMC and K&N product details that the filtration is actually better than the stock parts. This was part of the reason I was considering fitting one, I don't want to do anything that could harm the engine.
They're not. I suppose it's due to the holes in the media being up to 0.1mm big (100µm)

If you look up oil analysis results for cars using that type of filters, you always find elevated levels of silicon in the oil. Silicon that comes from silicates in the dust particles getting into the engine (through the pvc and through the piston rings). The most damaging particles are those between 2µm and 15µm, since they are big enough to damage the engine, but small enough to keep circulating in the oil (passed the oil filter which when new filters down to about 20µm)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts