Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Air filter/induction kit opinions/best option.

2608 Views 34 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Tommywho156
My wife's 156 1.8ts needs a service and I'm thinking of changing the stock airbox/filter, but I'm unsure on which way to go. I like induction kits but can't find one with a blanking plate, so I'm thinking of maybe replacing the stock filter with a JR filter.

I can also see that the 3 bolts which I think I need to remove to get to the filter are very badly corroded, so I've already been out with the WD40, but not tried them yet.

Just wondered what other peeps thoughts are on this please................
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2,267 Posts
I thought you had. Thanks, and they go on 'the list' as well. I would want to remove the old airbox, just to make the space and look tidy tbh.
The link in that thread is dead, it appears Regal Motorsport is out of stock. I found them elsewhere though..

http://www.startinggrid.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=369&cat=1&page=1

The reason for keeping the airbox is mainly for reducing the risk of hydrolocking the engine as the filter is pretty low down and at risk of water ingress. Mines fitted inside the airbox and it works a treat...

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The link in that thread is dead, it appears Regal Motorsport is out of stock. I found them elsewhere though..

Starting Grid :: Performance :: 104501 Apiro TORQUE Twin Cone Cotton Air Filter

The reason for keeping the airbox is mainly for reducing the risk of hydrolocking the engine as the filter is pretty low down and at risk of water ingress. Mines fitted inside the airbox and it works a treat...
Due to the nut that's 'rounded', I will take the airbox out and see if I can remove it. If I'm successful, then I can consider having the cone in the airbox. Volvo's seem simple to the Alfa's tbh, and this job is a doddle on them.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The Apiro filter mod only works if the airbox top can be secured properly, in this case one fixing is not serviceable so the filter would be pulling hot air from the engine bay. Not ideal!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm going to remove the airbox and tackle the knacked screw. If I can remove it, and then replace with good screws, I'll be sorted. Is the induction sound not reduced by having the filter in the original airbox?

On the Volvos, we even remove the bonnet insulation to increase the induction sound.

· Registered
2,267 Posts
The Apiro filter mod only works if the airbox top can be secured properly, in this case one fixing is not serviceable so the filter would be pulling hot air from the engine bay. Not ideal!

Nope. The Apiro fits and rests perfectly around the airbox rim, there's no need to secure it, the airbox itself holds the filter in place...

· Registered
2,267 Posts
Hey? The new filter fits to the little jutting out bit of plastic tube on the box lid. You don't then secure it at all? What if it falls off?

Lol!....No, it connects to the MAF and then the cotton/gauze lowers into the airbox, the silicone base of the filter is a slightly larger diameter than the hole in the top of the airbox and fits snuggly enough to hold it in position. I've had mine on for a couple of months now and covered a few thousand miles over some pretty crappy roads and mine hasn't moved at all in that time and I check it weekly when I check the oil, coolant and tyres.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.