Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been having a little tinker and took off the air ducting unit. The hose itself has several splits in both the ridges and troughs so am going to give the self amalgamating tape (not too tight though as per Pomeo's ? recommendation) a go. Tick over is a bit variable, sometimes 600 others 900, sometimes "bouncing" - I have yet to ascertain a pattern to it. Also at times throttle response seems sluggish irrespective of STR on or off and having done an ECU and throttle reset.

One the the screws was a pain to get out of the filter housing and it turns out that all 4 brass threads have "parted company" with the plastic but the screws themselves have rusted inside the brass threaded sleeves.

Any suggestions as to what the best "remedy" is? I'm not sure if there is much to be gained by trying to get the brass sleeves off the screws. There is some purchase with the brass threads into the plastic air filter housing but not sure if there is enough to keep the housing "closed" in use. Or perhaps that isn't important??

I welcome your comments :)

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,901 Posts
I would see what the revs are like after repairing the inlet pipe as any leaking would cause extra air flow from what the maf is reading / sending to the ecu. Then the maf would be next to clean / replace and then a ecu reset again.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply Paul - I did wonder about the MAF but as she pulls fine up the revs etc - I wasn't so sure....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I had this on Mrs Avocet's old 156. It's infuriating that Alfa were so stupid / penny pinching as to put two dissimilar metals in electrical contact together like that. Like the OP, I only discovered it too late - once they were irretrievably seized. I've no idea whether the 166 filter housing is similar enough to the 156 housing for this to work, but I ended-up pulling the whole brass insert out of the plastic and then tapping the female hole left by the insert in the plastic housing with whatever thread (I think it was an M10 or M12) that was suitable for the hole left by the insert. The plastic is surprisingly strong and was able to hold the lid on the housing with no problem - it was like that when we sold the car. Obviously, if any of them aren't seized yet, the solution is to buy some brass bolts on eBay and fit those instead of the steel ones.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Just been having a little tinker and took off the air ducting unit. The hose itself has several splits in both the ridges and troughs so am going to give the self amalgamating tape (not too tight though as per Pomeo's ? recommendation) a go. Tick over is a bit variable, sometimes 600 others 900, sometimes "bouncing" - I have yet to ascertain a pattern to it. Also at times throttle response seems sluggish irrespective of STR on or off and having done an ECU and throttle reset.

One the the screws was a pain to get out of the filter housing and it turns out that all 4 brass threads have "parted company" with the plastic but the screws themselves have rusted inside the brass threaded sleeves.

Any suggestions as to what the best "remedy" is? I'm not sure if there is much to be gained by trying to get the brass sleeves off the screws. There is some purchase with the brass threads into the plastic air filter housing but not sure if there is enough to keep the housing "closed" in use. Or perhaps that isn't important??

I welcome your comments :)
Yep fur sure Marky.

Bo peep method wull no work wie this problemo.

So fur sure go fur the Goldilocks soln.;):lol::cheese:

Never dun this ...Ewe sure twasne oor Niall?

Pomeo

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apologies Pomeo and of course to Niall or the respected individual who suggested it :)

Thanks for the tip on Avocet - will try to get that sorted over the next few evenings.

One a side - got the new heart & badge fitted yesterday - it brought a smile to my face. (The wife simply doesn't understand) :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Quite! I picked one up for the 164 at the Spring Alfa day and she asked why - "...after all, you already know what it is"!

They just don't understand...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite! I picked one up for the 164 at the Spring Alfa day and she asked why - "...after all, you already know what it is"!

Oh that is priceless - I love it :D

Now I just have to wipe the coffee from the PC screen which I just sprayed!! (doh!)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yeah, I don't know why I'm still married...!

Sorry 'bout your screen, but I had to admit to seeing the funny side myself!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry about the screen - my own fault for reading a post whilst swigging coffee at the same time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would see what the revs are like after repairing the inlet pipe as any leaking would cause extra air flow from what the maf is reading / sending to the ecu. Then the maf would be next to clean / replace and then a ecu reset again.
The "self amalgamating tape" repair has made a world of difference - pulls deliciously. One problem though now my engine light is on!

Have checked the MAF wiring connection and that seems secure. Coincidence or something I missed?

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,901 Posts
Have you done a ecu reset after the repair?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See - I did miss something :D

Truth be told - it started to chuck it down and the rainfall radar showed it would be wet for a while - so I decided a glass of wine was a better use of time.

I suppose that would make sense as the " air mix" will have changed significantly since and so the ecu might think - "ay up chuck" (or whatever the equivalent would be) summat has changed big time here...

Thanks Paul :)

·
Registered
11,025 Posts

Oh that is priceless - I love it :D

Now I just have to wipe the coffee from the PC screen which I just sprayed!! (doh!)
:cheese::cheese::cheese:

The Goldilocks approach does sound like me.Used successfully on cv boots but I have never had to tackle the air hose.However a 2 litre coke/pepsi/irn bru bottle and sticky back plastic my be my way.Too much BP as a youngster.

No apologies needed...perhaps twas Niall

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/238506-air-intake-flexi-hose.html#post3627232

Pomeo

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ECU reset carried out yesterday (been on holiday E. Yorkshire for a week)

Engine light off, and she's as sweet as a nut!! :) Thanks guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts