Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
As a change from the usual stuff about microfibre cloths and polish that uses wax from trees that only grow in the amazonian rain forests, I'm getting my hands dirty.

Two of the bolts holding my air filter in are seized in the inserts and the inserts won't come out of the filter box so I decided to knock up some temporary brackets to hold the lid in place.

Step one was to extract the filter by undoing the one unseized bolt and prising the lid off. I then found this and have grave doubts about whether it was changed as promised when I bought the car.

The next stage was to turn this pile of junk from the oddments box into a bespoke hand crafted air filter retaining system.

A bit of sawing drilling and hammering left me with these:

The idea is that the bent over ends locate in the rim of the box lid kind of like this with the studs going through new holes :

The studs and botton set of nuts and washers will be araldited together:

Hands up who thinks Mrs K needs to know about this?

More to follows shortly.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Job done and it's worked a treat:

The bracket holding the filter box was cracked and snapped when I tried to refit it. The airbox is now held by an old bracket from a metal curtain pole from the "You never know when you might need it" pile. This is a temporary measure.

The moral of this story is to never, ever, throw anything away. The downside is that your garage ends up looking like this:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
top Job :thumbs: ... athough I think you should have used the dishwasher :thumbs:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
top job keith

i sooooo need a garage. i have an 8x6 shed that's virtually overflowing with bits that i've kept over the years 'just in case'. seeing this thread affirms my intention to never chuck any of it out :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
top job keith

i sooooo need a garage. i have an 8x6 shed that's virtually overflowing with bits that i've kept over the years 'just in case'. seeing this thread affirms my intention to never chuck any of it out :thumbs:

but then you'll get a garage like mine ... full of stuff, but just can't find anything (that is until I've bought the replacement :lol:)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
but then you'll get a garage like mine ... full of stuff, but just can't find anything (that is until I've bought the replacement :lol:)
I find that I stumble across stuff I don't remember buying. The other day I found a Gunson's Colortune (ask your dad) and a dwell meter that I have no recollection of forking out money for.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I remember using a colortune & dwell meter on my first car :thumbs:
Also recall changing head gasket, timing chain & clutch on it with no issues - ahh the good old days :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts