Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to have a service on my 2001 JTD and I'm wanting to replace the air filter with an upgraded after market filter, or induction kit while its with them.

Can anyone recommend one please?...Or suggest reasons NOT to get an upgrade one.

Cheers

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do not buy a cone filter, they're rubbish and just draw in warm air. A fabric panel filter (direct replacement) is all I use now, much cheaper and does a better job.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Do not buy a cone filter, they're rubbish and just draw in warm air. A fabric panel filter (direct replacement) is all I use now, much cheaper and does a better job.
Is your filter not a cylindrical type one, rather than a panel? My original JTD filterbox was the cylindrical type one, before I replaced it with the CDA..

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Is your filter not a cylindrical type one, rather than a panel?
Normal 147 & GT have a panel filter.
3.2V6 versions have the same cylindrical filter as a 156.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your filter not a cylindrical type one, rather than a panel? My original JTD filterbox was the cylindrical type one, before I replaced it with the CDA..
To be honest I've not checked as yet...not had the car that long, and it's not something I'd thought about until now :lol:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
To be honest I've not checked as yet...not had the car that long, and it's not something I'd thought about until now :lol:
As you have a 156, it is cylindrical.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
yeah, cylindrical but you know what I mean ;)
Just being pedantic :p :lol:

If your replacement filter is 'fabric', what is the original? Paper? Oiled or not?

Do you oil your replacement filter?

I know you're not much of a fan of them, but I think the CDA is mint and you can't go far wrong, except paying £180 for it. Finding one second hand is the key I reckon..

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
another one that seems to come highly recommended is the GSR induction pipe for the 2.4 JTD it's (only) £165 delivered ...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had the BMC on my last car, 1.6 Bravo, there was a vast improvement over the K&N cone...until I drove though a deep puddle and it sucked up water, sent the trusted Bravo to the scrap yard :(

I was thinking about the GSR kit, I was talking to a guy on Fiat Scotland about but he never got back to me...getting banned from the forum didn't do me any favours I suppose :lol:

I've only had the filter in for a year so I've not done anything with it yet - don't do my miles - I used to clean them out ever year/6000 miles then a very light coating of oil.

Changing the filter on the 2.4 is way more complicated than it needs to be because of that fecking battery tray.

The original is paper is it not...I can't remember, it went in a skip 3 months ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts