Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone changed the air filter on a v6 from the top. I understand even the fuse box must come out. Never seen so much dust in life (winter) , and know I need to change it...just for a normal paper standard thing. Is it relatively easy? what tools...

Never want to do from the tray bottom, bending metal sounds bad.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I didn't know you could do it from the bottom:confused:

I always did it from the top, pretty easy really. You just loosen the plastic pipe that goes from the MAF to the throttle body, take it out, and then loosen the top part of the filter box, then you in. If the fuses get in the way, I think they just unclip and you can move them to one side.

I could be wrong here, but I'm sure its pretty similar if not exact to my car

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What masonGta said.

Replaced mine last week, and assuming GT has same layout of plumbing, it should be the same. Works easy if you have a ratchet with a no.8 I think on an extension for the screws on the filterbox to remove the top.

How much did they charge you for the filter?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'll try it. GTA is same as GT 3.2, just mapped slightly different. Sounds easier than the pollens I changed today. They were black with soot, new from July10. The air filter cost me R210, twice as much as a new oil filter, but not as much as 2 pollen filters...R330. All original parts. How does that compare?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Sounds easier than the pollens I changed today. They were black with soot, new from July10.
Up in Gauteng cabin filters are essential. Breathing outside air is like smoking a packet a day in certain areas!:wow:

The air filters are usually not so difficult to replace. As Mason says, the fusebox holder above it may need to be unclipped but that's about it:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Up in Gauteng cabin filters are essential. Breathing outside air is like smoking a packet a day in certain areas!:wow:
:tut: Certian areas maybe, not all - Witbank is not in Gauteng, neither is Sasolburg:
"Johannesburg has over ten million trees, and it is now the biggest man-made forest in the world"
Johannesburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If is wasn't for that South-Easter blowing every other day... :cheese: :p

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What masonGta said.

Replaced mine last week, and assuming GT has same layout of plumbing, it should be the same.
It took me longer than expected, problem with the snap-on clips, they're not bolt ones. Still got the lower one near box off. Midas sell them?

As well could not work out how to disconnect air meter cable, so just unbolted the whole top of the box.

Old filter...again too much dirt, needed vacuum.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
It took me longer than expected, problem with the snap-on clips, they're not bolt ones. Still got the lower one near box off. Midas sell them?

As well could not work out how to disconnect air meter cable, so just unbolted the whole top of the box.

Old filter...again too much dirt, needed vacuum.
Get a plier called a Clic-r plier. Takes those clips off in a second, and just as quick to put them on.

Air meter has a clip on the one side, push down to unclip it and then pull it out.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Thanks I'll try it. GTA is same as GT 3.2, just mapped slightly different. Sounds easier than the pollens I changed today. They were black with soot, new from July10. The air filter cost me R210, twice as much as a new oil filter, but not as much as 2 pollen filters...R330. All original parts. How does that compare?
My air filter cost me R102.00 ;)
However, the pollen filters cost also in the region of R300.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a plier called a Clic-r plier. Takes those clips off in a second, and just as quick to put them on.

Air meter has a clip on the one side, push down to unclip it and then pull it out.
I'll be down in Durbs for Friday and weekend. I can borrow yours ! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts