Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confirmed today that my 4 and a half year old G has worn out the compressor for the air conditioning. Happy days as it is covered by the extended warranty.

This will be the first car i have owned and the A/C has been a problem.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I had no symtoms other than no cold air, i got a recharge done and thats when the problem was identified.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
so the AC still doesn't work after a recharge? was the system empty or not?

It'sa Delphi compressor, similar to one on a corsa (if not the exact same) and reputably of top notch quality and efficiency.

I think you're the first to have a failed compressor on this forum at least, if that is indeed the problem. I can think of quite a few more possibilities (and that's without leaks)...

Compressor clutch failure
Compressor clutch wiring failure
Compressor variable swash plate wiring failure
high/Low pressure sensor failure, or the wiring
expansion valve failure
outside temperature sensor failure (ac doesn't switch on under 4°C)
evaporator temperature sensor failure (ac doesn't switch on if the evaporator is in danger of freezing)
mixing motors failure (hot/cold mixing)
low speed cooling fan failure or the resistor for the low speed
and the temperature sensors for the air being blown into the cabin...

from the top of my head...

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I don't know.

The compressor IS most likely to fail, but what if they guessed wrong? will the warranty company pay for another repair?

the outside temperature sensor sometimes fais... that's worth checking at least.... is the outside temperature reported accurately?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had two opinions both say compressor has packed up and the warranty company have approved the repair.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't know.

The compressor IS most likely to fail, but what if they guessed wrong? will the warranty company pay for another repair?

the outside temperature sensor sometimes fais... that's worth checking at least.... is the outside temperature reported accurately?
Just a quickie...is the AC compressor driven from the alternator belt as in days of old, or an independent electric motor ? :blabla:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello gentlemen,
mine was diagnosed today as a compressor problem, no cool air in the cabin, the way to make sure is to check the pressure of the compressor when its on, in and out 60 psi in and around 200 psi out. Any ideas where to get a new compressor,
thanks...

·
Registered
19 Posts
It would seem I am joining the auspicious club of failed-ac-compressors!

Full system service last July at 29,000 miles. Started noticing the car windows fogging up during the recent months. Even on 'LO' the temp was barely cold. Fuse checked ok.

In to the garage at 33,000 miles (I don't drive much!).

Garage advised compressor is making clattering noise and needs replacing. Best price I've seen online is £405 and waiting for garage to see what they can get it for.

I'm wondering whether its worth changing the pressure switch first or at the same time?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Keith

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Bearing failed on mine at 3 1/2 yrs old around 40k miles. I had Peter Vardy Warranty which covered it think they sourced an after market one as the Alfa parts was around £1000. You could hear the rumbling noise in the Cabin up to 3000rpm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts