Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been answered before but I have searched and not found an answer. My much loved 156 1.8 lusso has developed an air con fault and I'm hoping somebody can advise. When the external temparature drops below 3 degrees for whatever reason the air con will not come on. Once the external temp rises it works again fine!

The air con has worked fine before in cold weather so cannot understand why it is suddenly playing up. I use the air con to keep condensation free in the cold weather so it's a real pain!

Any advice most welcome.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I press the air con button though and it does not light as if it is not working - when the external temp rises the button lights up again. Even when I press the demist and all 4 lights should light up it does not light so I'm thinking there is a problem somewhere espeiclly as it has worked in the past - apologies if I'm not explaining this well!

·
Registered
656 Posts
If the outside temp is below 3 degrees the aircon will not operate there is nothing wrong with your car unless you are not explaining the problem well

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yep, as said above... the aircon is not supposed to work below 3 degrees, and the light wouldn't and shouldn't come on. There's nothing wrong with your car unless you're struggling to get your point across.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In cold weather when I hit the demist should all 4 lights on the heating controls light? (Aircon / mono / front demist / rear demist) In the past they have but recently the air con light has stopped ligthing up (judging by condensation build up in the car the air con button not lighting up has meant the air con not working. The heater / temparature controls still works as I still get warm air coming through).

Only when the external temp goes above approx 3 degrees will the button light up and the air con work. (I know it works as I don't get a condensation build up)

Thanks for your paitence!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yep thats how it should be, turn the recirculator off if you still misting up:thumbs: though pressing demist will do that, just takes a little longer without the compressor;)

could always read the manual, says in there too;):D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Totally normal and your manual will confirm this:)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I asked this too. Thing is, I distinctly remember that it did work back in Feb 2009 last time it snowed. Aircon light lit up and compressor clutch engaged.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I asked this too. Thing is, I distinctly remember that it did work back in Feb 2009 last time it snowed. Aircon light lit up and compressor clutch engaged.
depends how cold it was;)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
An odd 'feature' I must admit. No other aircon equipped car I have driven has this quirk. What is the reasoning behind it? COndensation freezing on/in pipes perhaps?? Or is it just 'one of those things, they all do that sir'

·
Registered
405 Posts
An odd 'feature' I must admit. No other aircon equipped car I have driven has this quirk. What is the reasoning behind it? COndensation freezing on/in pipes perhaps?? Or is it just 'one of those things, they all do that sir'
It's a design feature to prevent freezing the evaporator (the Air Con heat exchanger inside the heater box), imagine the inside of the heater box looking like your freezer iced up.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
im pretty certain other cars do it too dont they:confused: safty feature to prevent screwing the compressor

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
My wife's MINI has the light on but Aircon does noot work ! Rang the dealership to see if it was "normal" . They said that this is the case as it stops ***** ringing up about their AC not working in low temps

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
I think probably the other cars do, but they don't tell you like the Alfa does.
I'm sure all air-cons switch off in freezing temperatures, otherwise they would simply break.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
no aircon system in cars works below -3 C not even in a Rolls !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts