Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1999, 166 the infomation display screen has been showing at random, now that the weather is warmer "Air Conditioner Faulty Please Contact Workshop". What is the most common problem with the 166s Air Conditioning system that causes/triggers this warning information sign?

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
Do a forum search for 'air con' or 'air vents' and you will find lots of things to check!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
most common items are dirty cabin air filter (in bulkhead in engine bay) and a build up of fluff in the cabin sensor (by driver's left knee in cabin).

HTH

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because i had that "air conditioner faulity please contact workshop" sign coming up at random on my screen i made the move to take my 166 into an AC workshop for a AC check-up. They told me everything was working fine like the air was cold out of the vents and the pressure was ok. So i guess i am going to take my car into an Alfa Romeo workshop and have them sort-out the problem. I still dont understand what could be causing this problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
the ICS brings this up if the interior fan is knackered. i think it also comes on if the recirculation flap is faulty.

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
Hi

This message is the only thing the ICS can display for any fault which effects the air con from working. So you have to eliminate each possible cause. The internal fan which was my problem which was blocked will fluff and had jammed the fan. (Info from this forum!!!)

But there are others : search this forum and you will find them. Do as much as you can before you go to the alfa dealer.

If this is not what your into then I suppose the dealer is your only option

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your help. I will do the steps that you all recommend before taking my car to the Alfa service center. What is "knackered" and "fluff" ? Thanks

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
What is "knackered" and "fluff" ?

'a component which is not working' and 'a group of dirt particles)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks. My Alfa service center told me over the phone just to bring in my car and that they would hook it up to a computer and do a "wrong code" search and that should tell them what the problem is and where its at. But then its a different story as to how much it will cost to repair in labor and parts. I had my car into an AC service center and they told me that the AC itself is working fine, that is pressure and temp. So im giving the Alfa service center my car on 20-05-2009!

·
Registered
122 Posts
fluff: the same stuff you can collect from your belly button:)
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:
I am dying here - some one stop me....:cheese:
If there was an oscar for post of the year, this is deffinetly it - sorry for offtopic...

On:
I have been getting this message for 3rd summer now and still havent figured out yet what the problem is.
Changed cabin air filter, checked for fluf on inner fan, bought new battery - error still there.
But there is something i noticed this year that is different from other; when the fan is on full "throttle" and when i push the recirculation flap button it used to get even stronger air (increase of power) from the wents - but this year it seems something is knackered and when i push the button nothing happens - like the flap is loose from the motor - at least i see it like that.
So i am almost sure that in my case there is a fault with my recirculation flap!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, i went to pick-up my 166 today from the Alfa service center and they told me that they did a "code check" on my car to see why i was getting that "air condition faulty contact workshop" message and what the problem was. They told me the problem was with the Duct/Distributor Unit and specifically with the Mixed Air Flaps Actuator. So i told them "lets fix it". They said "sure we can fix it for you but its going to cost you BIG MONEY in parts and labor" and they recommended me just to "live with the problem and save the money". Why should this be such a big problem and so costly to fix? Should i get a second opinion or does this sound right to you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi I recentrt got myself a alfa romeo 166 v6 sportronic on 1999 plate, when I got the car the rear view mirror had fallen off, I got one from scrap yard and glued it on and connected wire. the next morning I started the car and I got the message 'air condition fault contact workshop' I panicked and changed all the relays and check all fuse, changed pollon filter regased and changed fan motor and even changed the ics unit, all coz alfa dealer told me to, I took car home all fed up after a week of rubbish and wasten money, then It accord to me I changed the mirror and I saw a few sencors on mirror, so I disconnect wire on back of rear view mirror and hey presto the message had gone, and my fan heater air con alll worked!!!!!!!!, so ppl who get this message fault may be due to damp or condensation inside rear view mirror causing the error dis connect the wire on back of rear view mirror its a little black wire can be takn off . hope this helps

mohamed

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Why should this be such a big problem and so costly to fix?
Probably a dashboard-out job... around a day's labour...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts