Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it is just my GTV or is the air con in this car really bad? As you guys will know, the last 2 days has been incredibly hot! When I put my aircon to the full blast to the lowest temperature, it is actually hotter than then temperature outside! So I've basically been driving with windows down and aircon off because if I left it on, the air coming from it is too warm lol.

I just had the car serviced and loads done recently so hopefully it isn't the car's fault. But if it isn't it is unusual that the aircon is so bad - unless it is ment to just be a fan. I find that the air coming from the aircon is cooler when the radiator fan kicks than when the radiator fan is off... Any explanations ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
No explanation I'm afraid (although I can think of the simple one), but I drove 140 miles this morning with mine on the whole way and it was cooooooooooooooool in the car, I nearly fainted when I got out!

So it's not across all cars I'm afraid as mine is a treat.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
these do need re gassing of course to maintain there effectiveness........................ just hope you dont have a leak and the fluids do the job its £25-£50 for a AC service top up

seems like your empty thats why i was refering to the leak................ normally they just go from supper cold to less cold....................... yours is warm ?? leak ???

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the regassing would have been included when I have my car serviced? I don't think my car will be leaking since I just had the radiator replaced last week ! LOL

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If the car is a Phase 2 or 3, I'd look at the air mixing motor on the side of the heater unit. The motor adjusts a flap inside the heater unit and it diverts some or all the air through the heater matrix after it has passed through the aircon evaporator.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I guess the regassing would have been included when I have my car serviced? I don't think my car will be leaking since I just had the radiator replaced last week ! LOL
An air con re-gas wouldn't usually be included in a service. I'd go get it done and I'm sure you'll see a big improvement.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If the air coming through the vents is HOTTER than ambient, then it is unlikely to be anything to do with refrigerant pressure.

If the control is set to fully cold and the air coming from the vents is hotter than outside ( having allowed time for the airflow to have cooled all the ducting ) then it is being warmed up by the heater. Air should not be flowing through the heater with the control on fully cold on a P2/P3. If the car is a P1, then I'd suspect the water control valve.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Try this out: Stand next to the engine with the bonnet open when the car is idling and have a mate switch the aircon on and off manually. You should be able to hear a clicking noise when the aircon compressor clutch engages. If the pressure in the system is too low the compressor won't engage and you don't hear it clicking.
If it doesn't click, the possibility is big that the refrigerant has leaked out slowly over the years or you have bigger leak. Then I would get it regassed with dye so you can trace the leak if there is one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts