Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My mechanic has diagnosed a whining noise in my 159 as a buggered aircon pump. It does have that sort of worn bearing sound but these pumps are scarily expensive so obviously am hoping he's mistaken.

If not, I wondered if it's possible to bypass the pump in some way? If it is, will I still have a working heater? (I never press the snowflake button, never, because why would I? This is Ireland - it's flipping freezing all the time.)

And if it's not possible to bypass the pump, would it be the height of folly to get a second-hand one?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Shouldn't make noise when low on gas - the clutch won't engage when there's not enough gas pressure in the system. If the air con makes noise when it's not on then it's probably the clutch/pulley arrangement, most likely a bearing in the pulley.

I'd try a second hand unit, if it was cheap enough and known good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted that question and then left the room. Sorry for being so rude. Thanks all for your help. It makes the whining noise whether on or off. Mechanic is pretty confident it's a bearing in the pump so I won't argue. I'm going to try and get a second-hand one if I can find the right part number, and then see about getting the one that's in there reconditioned so I'll have a reliable spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts