Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 166 back today after a service.

There's been an noise from engine/belts for months. Turns out it's the air-con pump. He moved it a little so noise is gone, but says it may move back.

John (Eurofix) was talking £500/600 to sort with re-con unit :wow:

Found this old thread (below) and wondered if anyone has had any problems/cures? And can it F"c( up the timing belt if it was to seize?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have now successfully replaced the knackered bearing for a total price of £90 including gas. Here's how.....

- Go to your local friendly air con man, get him to empty out the gas in your system.
- Remove pump - 4 bolts plus gas pipes ( might have to adjust the tensioner pulley to get belt off )
- Take off the pulley from pump
- Iside pulley is the bearing. This is the fiddly bit, the bearing is crimped in to stop DIY'ers, so you either have to put it on a lathe or use a small grinding wheel to remove them. Sounds complicated, but a doddle really. Then make up a little tool ( big bolt and ground down washer ) to pull out the bearing.
- Take bearing to your local bearing supplier ( man at air con place can normally advise here ). They will measure it and order a replacement of same size. Cost about £27
- Refit all above and get it re-gassed.

BRILLIANT !

A lot better than the £600+ for recon pump and fitting "

Cheers, H.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a similar problem. I had the auxilary belt and tensioner bearing replaced with John @ Eurofix in late December. Now I have a similar worn bearing noise coming from the air con unit. Seeing as it's stopped working in the last couple of weeks, I'm guessing it's the air con pump. Not jumping for joy at the thought of another steep bill!

Don't know of any cures but would be interested to hear how you get on as I'll not be too far from needing a fix myself!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
my pump went about a year ago, apparently its quite unusual. I got a working replacement pup from Autolusso for £50 - much cheaper than a new one!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Phil, was it a secondhand pump or re-conditioned? My cars going fine at 123k, but it develops "noises" and if i can cure them i'm sure i'll drive her for a long while yet.

Boofaloof (WTF :confused:) will report back if i find a cure. Can due back in at Eurofix to fit Powerflex, Konis and Eibachs....

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
it was a second hand pump. Autolusso have plenty of good used 166 parts.. gotta be worth a call?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts