Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after changing the turbo i noticed the aircon pump pully is a bit noisey metalic rubbing noise,(think its the pully clutch?) now my aircon needs a new condensor due to a light bump the car had before i bought it, never bothered getting one as not essential apart from the odd couple weeks of hot summer, wat im trying to find out is if theres a aux belt that anyone knows will bypass the pump till i find good s/h cheapish parts to fix the a/c any help much appreciated, thanks folks. ps its a 16v jtd.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi I know there is one for the petrol 156 but not sure about the diesel ?
look on here and try ringing Autolusso or alfa workshop they will know:thumbs:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks will try them, ive done a search on here but coulnt find anything (might be me though) atb.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If you have a Sanden SD7v16 compressor ( as fitted to early 16v JTDs I believe ) you may be able to change the clutch bearing for less cost than a new aux belt.

I did this myself and all I had to do was make a simple clutch puller with a scrap piece of steel, 3 off 1/4" UNC bolts ( Sanden = USA ) and another nut and bolt ( I used an 8mm thread nut and bolt ).

It'll look like this when done and setup -

Removing The Pulleys Photo by pkr1 | Photobucket

With the clutch removed the pully is then removed. The Sanden manual gives details on the special tool, but I carefully prised it off a fraction at a time by levering against the adjacent bolts in the compressor body.

Once the pulley is off, the bearing is removed ( punch or press ) and new one fitted.

2011-11-24_13-38-56_DSC_0006.jpg Photo by pkr1 | Photobucket

Total cost was about €11 + shipping for the bearing ( from Ireland ), 3 1/4" UNC bolts and a bit of time to make the puller and effect the repair.

Modification Complete Photo by pkr1 | Photobucket

( Ignore the other pulley in the picture - I was doing more than just changing the bearing ).

Bearing from here -
BEARING 35x55x20

( current price €11.88 )

Sanden service manual here -
Sanden USA: Service Manual

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks, iwill check the comp to see, fingers crossed, it'll be the one and make a cheap fix(for a change) atb.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Best confirm it is the pulley first. If you undo the aux belt and turn the compressor pulley by hand, you should hear/feel if it is noisy.

Also check the aux belt tensioner and idler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts