Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
30 is pretty mild (but nice, about as hot as I like it. We get well into the 40s in summer and it sucks...). Was parked in the sun for the day first?
It was mid day and the car was in the sun on and off. I would call it warm but not left a day at the beach . But I think you are asking a bit more from the AC than the rest of us . I think up to 35 is OK as long as you don't have to do any hard labour, but at 40 it's just too hot. I have to find some AC or water to cool down every hour or so...

We rarely have above 30 degrees here but down to -25 on occasion so it's a big span. Mine has the 750 W PTC-element so I get warm air long before the engine is warm. When it's sub -10 degrees the engines takes forever to warm up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I will double check the readings when I get a chance and compare compressor % at same time as vent temp. That was interior fan at about 3/4 if it was on full it’s all noise but the vent temp didn’t drop any lower.
If you can't get the temp below that on a relatively cold day I must say is wrong. It sounds like it's hardly cooling the air at all...

·
Registered
380 Posts
It was mid day and the car was in the sun on and off. I would call it warm but not left a day at the beach . But I think you are asking a bit more from the AC than the rest of us . I think up to 35 is OK as long as you don't have to do any hard labour, but at 40 it's just too hot. I have to find some AC or water to cool down every hour or so...

We rarely have above 30 degrees here but down to -25 on occasion so it's a big span. Mine has the 750 W PTC-element so I get warm air long before the engine is warm. When it's sub -10 degrees the engines takes forever to warm up.
I’m down south where the summers are at least not humid. Up in Queensland it’s like Thailand - hot and humid and I can’t handle that. At least here when it’s 40-45 it’s virtually 0% humidity. Humid and hot I can’t breathe...

We are asking a lot of the system for sure. I’m just saying other makes of car are better at rising to the challenge ;) And it gets plenty hot in the south of Italy, so i sorta assumed they’d be designing for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure they did so much designing them self. The condenser is same as the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa so it would not surprise me if the entire system is of the shelf from GM.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm not sure they did so much designing them self. The condenser is same as the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa so it would not surprise me if the entire system is of the shelf from GM.
Really? Geez, I thought all the Mopar labels all over the thing was bad enough...

Corsa is a small car... But either way, the design and routing of the duct work among other variables would effect the performance of it even if the core is the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dunno whether my experience helps. I am from Hong Kong and the temperature in summer is around 30 - 37 °C. Even I set the AC into re-circulation mode and temperature to "LOW", the giulietta basically could only deliver some cold air and failed to turn the cabin into a comfy environment. I tried to regas the refrigerant but found that there was actually no surplus / shortage.

It turns out that the the flap for re-circulation was never closed due to a broken actuator linkage (see the attached photos). Therefore, it was simply to hard for the AC system to cool the ambient hot air down effectively.
IMG_20200815_152114.jpg IMG_20200815_153241.jpg

Since it is definitely a dash-out job to replace the actuator, I decided to manually fix the position of the flap to almost fully close. Now, the cabin temperature is much cooler, but still not comparable to the Japanese cars.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Thanks for the reply that is defo not the fault with mine as all motors and flaps have been checked out and found to be working.

been having a closer look today as under tray was off,that rad fan set up is rather poor. Not only is it only half the rad but at bottom of shroud there is approx 10mm gap so it doesn’t really ‘seal’ onthe section of rad it’s going to cool very well. When fan is running some of its power is going to be lost due to that gap.

as said above I am going to use some car and duct tape as a temp experiment in the hope we get some more hot days to test it’s performance.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts