Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mrs is constantly on at me that her air con in the 1.4ma is not working. Had gassed last week despite it only being slightly down on pressure. Think they took 420g out and put 450 in.
Had it plugged in to MES no faults logged and everything is operational.

she doesn’t use car for long journeys just local stuff,whenever I have used to go on a motorway run I find that it does work just takes a while to have any effect on cabin temp. Especially compared to my 5 series that seems to be blowing cold within seconds.

Are the G air con systems known to be a bit on the weak side needing a good amount of time to work? Maybe as a result of a fairly small system with only 450g

just to add fan out put is fine and pollen filter is brand new.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm in Australia, and I find it pretty weak. My G is brand new btw, so no faults. I was a bit surprised, its gets reasonably warm by european standards in the south of italy...

If I've left it parked in the sun on a 40 plus day and the temperature on the dash reads 55, the AC takes quite some time to pull the cabin temp back down ;)

The heater sucks too, takes forever in winter for it kick in.

Japanese cars do AC and heating much much better :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
In MES in control module for the Engine you can find AC pressure and fan speed. At least mine starts to blow cold air before I have backed out of my garage.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Australia, and I find it pretty weak. My G is brand new btw, so no faults. I was a bit surprised, its gets reasonably warm by european standards in the south of italy...

If I've left it parked in the sun on a 40 plus day and the temperature on the dash reads 55, the AC takes quite some time to pull the cabin temp back down ;)

The heater sucks too, takes forever in winter for it kick in.

Japanese cars do AC and heating much much better :(
not experience 40 degree temps over here but in the upper twenties to mid 30’s we have been having the air con is pretty much what you have just explained.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In MES in control module for the Engine you can find AC pressure and fan speed. At least mine starts to blow cold air before I have backed out of my garage.
I will have a check on engine controller see what pressure it is running at. I can feel cold air starting after a few minutes but it is just weak and struggles to overcome the cabin temp.

·
Registered
380 Posts
To be fair, in Sweden its blowing cool air even when the AC doesn't work ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you stick a temeprature probe in one of the vents, like 10cm in, and measure the temp there, for comparison, i get the 11C, 2 to 3 minutes on starting AC, set on low, fan speed on 3, outside temp 33C with air recirculation off. Engine 2.0 175hp.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can stick a temp probe in vents could have done it other day but just went off MES readings rather than physically checking temp

·
Registered
397 Posts
Shove it on full whack and recirculating for max cooling.

Probably needs a few miles to catch up if car has been out in the sun.

·
Registered
38,175 Posts
Ours has been struggling as well. I am not sure whether it needs looking at or whether it is just because the temperature outside has been so hot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tried loggin the temp on my way to the store today. Wanted to try MES with my new Surface also (dropped connection after this for some reason). Outside temperature today was 27 degrees. I start the car about 5 sec into the graph, so after 45 seconds of running the air temp at the wents are below 10 degrees C. I just left the climate controll to auto and set to 21 degrees.

·
Registered
382 Posts
yeah i agree it seems to feel weak, yet if you direct air to the windscreen it has no issues with making the outside of the windscreen fog up while driving.. So the air is definitely cold, i just don't feel it much.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ours has been struggling as well. I am not sure whether it needs looking at or whether it is just because the temperature outside has been so hot.
I think it’s just a poorly designed system it all functions as it should just doesn’t really cool the car. We went out in mine today and mrs said before we even left the road how come your air con is quiet and it works.

as above it will mist screen up when on low but on face it’s not good. my suspicion is it’s because it’s a relatively small circuit so struggles on hot days. On screen the air flow is coming out of less vents so when on face the air flow is spread more so loses its effect.

·
Registered
38,175 Posts
It is probably designed to drop the temperature a certain amount below ambient. If it is 36ºC outside and it drops the temp by 15ºC then it will still be warm...

Having said that, I always found the G's aircon ok if not brililant up until recently. I think most modern cars have less effective aircon than in the past due to the pumps being made to have less load on the engine, refrigerant being better for the environment etc.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t know about that the beemers I have had the air con is Baltic in no time,different type of compressor as it doesn’t have a clutch it always runs at 5% to circulate refrigerant and when it’s on the compressor is controlled by PWM via the DME.
Even the 69 plate transit at work gets that cold you have to switch fan down.
It’s only the G I seem to have an issue with, good job I don’t drive it much or it would really annoy me.

·
Registered
38,175 Posts
The aircon on my 1 series is pretty decent, the 3 coupe I have needs fixing as the compressor doesn't engage...

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The aircon on my 1 series is pretty decent, the 3 coupe I have needs fixing as the compressor doesn't engage...
Just sold a 330d coupe air con was cracking in that, what engine is it in yours m57 or n57 as layer n57 also has pwm compressors.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This sounds very familiar - the air con and climate control was one of my main bugbears with the Giulietta. The air con needed recharging twice in 18 months - on the second occasion it was discovered by Motorvogue Northampton that it was actually leaking, odd for a 2 year old car. TH White Swindon either failed to notice this the first time or it wasn't leaking at the time - I think I know the answer. However even after it'd been fixed for the second time and the problem didn't re-occur, the air con was still only ok at best.

As others have mentioned, if you were on a long journey it would get going but on anything around 10 miles or less or journeys that didn't take in a fast road, it was hopeless. The systems' persistence at automatically activating the air con even in manual mode used to drive me absolutely mad too, as I only use it for cooling and occasional demisting and don't leave it running the whole time. It didn't seem to be possible to ever completely operate the climate control in full manual mode like in other cars.

Although FCA diesels are known to take an age to heat-up, the air con issue isn't a general Alfa or Fiat weak point as my MiTo and Fiat's, particularly the current Tipo, are icy cold within seconds of starting the engine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This sounds very familiar - the air con and climate control was one of my main bugbears with the Giulietta. The air con needed recharging twice in 18 months - on the second occasion it was discovered by Motorvogue Northampton that it was actually leaking, odd for a 2 year old car. TH White Swindon either failed to notice this the first time or it wasn't leaking at the time - I think I know the answer. However even after it'd been fixed for the second time and the problem didn't re-occur, the air con was still only ok at best.

As others have mentioned, if you were on a long journey it would get going but on anything around 10 miles or less or journeys that didn't take in a fast road, it was hopeless. The systems' persistence at automatically activating the air con even in manual mode used to drive me absolutely mad too, as I only use it for cooling and occasional demisting and don't leave it running the whole time. It didn't seem to be possible to ever completely operate the climate control in full manual mode like in other cars.

Although FCA diesels are known to take an age to heat-up, the air con issue isn't a general Alfa or Fiat weak point as my MiTo and Fiat's, particularly the current Tipo, are icy cold within seconds of starting the engine.
156 AC is not great but that's mostly because of the awful cabin air flow. Only way around it is just to open all vents and let the ambient temperature fall rather than any sort of direct flow. And yeah traffic or short journeys then it isn't great. Mine's on a brand new compressor so probably works as well as any 156 ever will. Disappointing if Alfa haven't gotten around these issues two generations on, plus the G only has one rear vent vs 156's two. Mind you work Astra has no rear vents!!

Dad's Honda seems to have pretty awesome AC and doesn't need a run up. Astra Diesels at work seem to pump out cold air extremely quickly too.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts