Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found the problem with my air con...
There is a split on the low pressure pipe as seen in the pics ...
The split it obviously caused by the mounting clip.. either it has been tightened too much or has just creased the pipe over time which has weakened it causing the split in the pipe

questions for you helpful guys...

How much is a replacement pipe?
How much of a ball ache is it to fit a new one?

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
If it's the same pipe I had replaced the part is around £10 and the fitting is around £270 IIRC :).

Or, you could drive around with it turned off...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
holy **** £270 to fit a £10 part??
that might have to wait a bit, i knew some parts of the aircon are a time consuming job... but this pipe looks like the easiest to access :confused: its the pipe with the valve on it, right on the top to the left of the engine..

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just had another look... it does look a bit tricky too fit... but not sure how hard..
it looks like it joins at the bulk head and runs right along the back of the engine (quite high up, but still under a number of pipes and wires) and turns back towards the front of the car to a joint just before a big cyclinder type chamber...?!? by the radiator.
i know i am pretty useless at explaining myself... :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
I would imagine that around £70 of that price would be to drain and then refill the air con system. I have noticed that one of my aircon pipes in the same location as yours looks a little 'crimped' or squashed by the bracket that holds it in place....no split in it yet though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh right well it doesnt nee drained, and i will fill it myself depending on what a garage will charge...
£10 seem very cheap for such a long alloy pipe, especially an alfa part... hey im not complaining

strange how the pipe bracket/clip is actually damaging the pipe... i was putting it down to the pipe not being installed once over causing the clip to clamp down on it too tight... maybe there all like this from factory then??

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
Edward, have you stripped the aircon from one of your GTAs? WHat did you do about the compressor, or did you just leave it in to operate as an idler?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: GTA Roadwatch (was it you?)

Jamier, Let me know how much it is from the garage - as I think I have one of those going spare. I also took it out of the car - so may be able to give you tips / advice as to how to refit it. E.
cheers edward that would be a great help . I wont get chance to price it up till the weekend as i am away working but will let you know

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jamier,

Let me know how much it is from the garage - as I think I have one of those going spare.

I also took it out of the car - so may be able to give you tips / advice as to how to refit it.

E.

just got a qoute for the part.... £126!! :eek:

the guy says you have to buy both pipes..? to me it looks like they are 2 different parts?

so do you have one spare ed?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Pud,

Pud, yep aircon all gone from one of them....

I have for the time being left the aircon pump in place - purely as an idler. The pump itself looks pretty heavy and will be coming out one day, but at the present I am looking at having some engine work done, so will do it all at the same time. From what I can tell you can just about make the belts work without the pump in place - obviously with a shorter belt.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Jamier,

Yes I do have that pipe - but I have just realised yours is a 147.

I wonder if they are the same - 156 and 147???

Could you perhaps send me a photograph of your engine bay, particularly the left hand side and I will see if the aircon pipes look anything like mine - for starters....

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jamier,

Yes I do have that pipe - but I have just realised yours is a 147.

I wonder if they are the same - 156 and 147???

Could you perhaps send me a photograph of your engine bay, particularly the left hand side and I will see if the aircon pipes look anything like mine - for starters....

i will try and get some photos tomorrow, i thought they would be the same but perhaps on the 156 it enters the bulkhead at a different place meaning the pipe might be longer/shorter?!
thanks

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i will seal my pipe with two component stuff, that joins aluminium togehter, like cold welding. It's good stuff and holds very strong.

Or other option is to try to weld the pipe on a car...
that sounds a nice temp fix...? never heard of anything like that... where would i get that?

M

·
0 Posts
Good old Halfords, good for fixing burst water pipes in the winter too!!

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
Pud,

Pud, yep aircon all gone from one of them....

I have for the time being left the aircon pump in place - purely as an idler. The pump itself looks pretty heavy and will be coming out one day, but at the present I am looking at having some engine work done, so will do it all at the same time. From what I can tell you can just about make the belts work without the pump in place - obviously with a shorter belt.
If you could tell me as much about how you did it as possible then that would be great! Where the pipes go and what they connect to etc, I can't see where the ones that go towards to bulk-head connect to. I've got some jobs (again!) that need doing on the 156, I think my ARB->subframe bushes are shot as there is a knocking that is definitely not driveshafts, track rod arms, steering rack, upper or lower wishies or the droplinks.. Must be the ARB bushes then, just when I can't afford the Eibach ARB kit :rolleyes:

By the way, you don't happen to have a spare set of GTA anti-roll bars do you, if you have upgraded yours already?

So the subframe will need to be dropped, plus I've got my oil cooler, pipes, remote oil filter head, OEM 3.2 oil filter and 11 litres of Silkolene Pro S 10W50, so may as well do that all at the same time, which will probably require the front bumper being removed to get the cooler mounted.. It would make sense for me to drop the front cross-member also, and take out all the air con gubbins and also change the coolant.. Must get around to booking another week off :lol:

Any advice much appreciated! :thumbs:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 29 Posts