Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air con doesn't usually make any noise but switched it on this evening and could hear a constant creaking, whining noise, then noticed a noise very like an immersion heater coming from centre vents, like gas flowing through pipes. Seemed to build up in volume then slowly dissappears before doing it again a few seconds later.

Is this a leak or what else could it be?

Thanks for any help

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk

R

·
0 Posts
Yes had the same noise, could be a leek or low on gas. I had mine refilled a year ago as and its been fine ever since. I used ATS because they had a good deal at the time plus they had all the equipment to check for leeks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cheers is due mot and service in a few weeks so will mention it then

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
what you hear is the refrigerant which should be a liquid at that point, but has already started vaporising in the tubing towards the evaporator. The reason for that is low charge and too low pressure on the low pressure side. As soon as the pressure drops below the threshold, the compressor gets switched off until the low side pressure rises again. That's why it's intermittent.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks always interested to hear the technical explanation. So what is the whirring noise, was thinking that maybe the compressor having to work harder but its constant so doesn't stop with compressor?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could hear the whirring from outside the car that was actually the first thing I heard but didnt think too much of it until I heard the other noise so maybe I'm just over examining that one now.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
ahh ok..

that's likely the fan for the condensor you're hearing. it'll likely stay on while the compressor is temporarily switched off until the pressure on the high pressure side drops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts