Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. relatively new here, and also a new Alfa driver.. so be nice!!

Have a 2001 147 1.6 Lusso

Whenever I turn on the aircon, I hear a clunk.. quite loud.. cant really explain what it sounds like, other than 'clunky'!!, and coming from under the bonnet..

Anyone know what this is.. anything to worry about??

thanks

Charlie

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Don`t worry, its the clutch for the compressor. Its supposed to do that (although arguably its a bit noisy!)

Why would you think Ianyone would be nasty to you :) We are all very nice here :D

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
In case you wanted a second opinion :D - Chris is right... its the same with the 156... but maybe a clonk instead of a clunk ;) Its the Alfa way of the Star Trek term 'engage!'.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Ok, clunks apart :D I would like to welcome Charlie to the AO comunity. :)

Would be nice if you could see some photos of your lovely Alfa. What colour is it? Alloys? Trim... all the stuff. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
Ok, clunks apart :D I would like to welcome Charlie to the AO comunity. :)

Would be nice if you could see some photos of your lovely Alfa. What colour is it? Alloys? Trim... all the stuff. :)
DITTO

But on the clunks, 147s click barely audibly, or at least mine does. With the engine off check to see if there is any movement of the compressor on its mountings, it should be solid as a rock. If not tighten all the nuts and bolts attaching the compressor to the bracket and the bracket to the engine. Other wise get your dealer to have a look at it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the response and the welcome! ;)
glad to hear this is quite normal, and will ignore the clunk/clonk..

car is a 3 door 2001 147 1.6ts lusso in Platinum Grey with Black Leather interior, standard alloys, unfortunately badly scraped as the previous owner was probably crap at parking!
I have had it for a couple of months now and have yet to take any pics.

Tell you what though, The Alfa was always the car I was going to buy with my heart than my head, as i was going to buy a golf or an A3.... I am so glad I chose the Alfa... my brother got a golf a couple of weeks ago(mark IV) and went for a drive with him in it....Its not even close to being in the same class.., .. ..The Alfa is a truly remarkable car. I generally hate driving.. but this car makes me leave for work early, so I can spend longer in it... sad or what..

Charlie

B

·
0 Posts
RisePark147 said:
Tell you what though, The Alfa was always the car I was going to buy with my heart than my head, as i was going to buy a golf or an A3.... I am so glad I chose the Alfa... my brother got a golf a couple of weeks ago(mark IV) and went for a drive with him in it....Its not even close to being in the same class.., .. ..The Alfa is a truly remarkable car. I generally hate driving.. but this car makes me leave for work early, so I can spend longer in it... sad or what..

Charlie
As sad as the rest of us. :D :D

pps Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
:cheese: :cheese: You sound as the real Alfa Petrolhead like all of us nutcases !!! welcome to the club ! btw does your 147 has manual aircon or climate control ? my previous Alfa 146ti had a manual and gave a loud engage clunk when pushing the button, my 156 is very silent, only the tiny lamp gives away that it is engaged.

Enjoy all these crazy Alfisti on this forum, best bunch I've ever met !!

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
RisePark147 said:
I generally hate driving.. but this car makes me leave for work early, so I can spend longer in it... sad or what..
Welcome to the clube, Charlie! :D that's the spirit! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
200k said:
DITTO

But on the clunks, 147s click barely audibly, or at least mine does. With the engine off check to see if there is any movement of the compressor on its mountings, it should be solid as a rock. If not tighten all the nuts and bolts attaching the compressor to the bracket and the bracket to the engine. Other wise get your dealer to have a look at it.
Charlie do check this though as its a sensible precaution if the noise is noticeably loud.

And yes ... Welcome alfa matey :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Both my old 145 Cloverleaf and my 156 make a 'clunk' when the aircon is turned on. It seems to be a 'feature' :rolleyes:

Welcome to Alfaowner. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts