Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read lots about 156 air box mods and am wondering what the funnel is for that sits in the pipe inside the air box.To me this looks like it could restrict the air flow?Iknow this would not greatly improve performance, but maybe the throttle responce on the sluggish selespeed my be improved.has anybody tried this?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I don't know what the 'snorkel' thing is for but it looks like it would reduce air flow.
I have removed mine and made some changes to the air box intake. I can't say if there is any better throttle response but I'm planning to get an Autodelta chip and hope that will improve things.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wouldn't have removed the "cone".... I read on alfisti.co.uk that " it (the cone) must be replaced as if not the dirt and grit is sucked from the outside rather than through the center..."

Some food for thought :D

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Interesting......

I'm not sure how any dirt can be sucked through anything as the cone is in the middle of the air filter. My air filter is sealed at the bottom and fits tightly top and bottom in the filter box.

I think the cone is probably there to stir up the air before it mixes with the fuel to help improve the fuel vaporisation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you get any change in engine noise at high revs.At around 6400 their is a noticable ringing (not the best way to describe it).

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The plastic funnel is there to reduce the intake noise. From the look of its shape, it should also accelerate incoming air but since it's placed to low it could also restrict the air volume. :confused:

I took mine out and haven't noticed any changes in noise or performance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi,

As part of the Auto Delta induction kit, they recommend removing the funnel.
This is what I did, but can't comment on what effect it had as I also replaced the 1st part of the intake.
What I can say is that if you replace the standard filter was a K&N replacement type filter (i.e. same size / shape as original) then this does improve throttle response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts