Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just changed the thermostat on my 2.0 ts 2001 it went very smoothly , however when i came to run it up to temperature the gauge went up quite slowly but got to 1/4 way up the gauge heater blowing very warm. My issue is the bottom hose on the radiator is not getting hot, i took the car for a drive temp increase to 90 but not above it fluctuated slightly but not much. After about 10 miles with engine still running checked bottom hose and it was still cold. The rad is only 12 months old could my problem be an air lock or something more worrying. Oh yes when i filled the cooling system up i did it via expansion tank dont know if this would make a difference also the 4 pipes on the thermostat all seem hot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is what looks to be a plastic screw on top corner of radiator would i need to bleed it with expansion cap on or off would i have been better filling radiator first via top pipe ?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Bleed it with it off first of all (top up via the expansion tank).

I had a airlocked bmw the other day after changing the thermostat. I had to bleed it with the engine running (ie after the thermostat had opened) to clear it.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi just changed the thermostat on my 2.0 ts 2001 it went very smoothly , however when i came to run it up to temperature the gauge went up quite slowly but got to 1/4 way up the gauge heater blowing very warm. My issue is the bottom hose on the radiator is not getting hot, i took the car for a drive temp increase to 90 but not above it fluctuated slightly but not much. After about 10 miles with engine still running checked bottom hose and it was still cold. The rad is only 12 months old could my problem be an air lock or something more worrying. Oh yes when i filled the cooling system up i did it via expansion tank dont know if this would make a difference also the 4 pipes on the thermostat all seem hot.
radiator doeing its job maybe
if you squeeze bottom hose u should hear any air

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is meant to be cool! if it were hot then the engine would not have a cool supply of water and would eventually over heat.
Left standing does the temp rise to above 90,fans kick in,and then fall back to just below 90?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi if its just left ticking over it doesnt quite get to the 90 mark mind you its quite cold at the minute but the fan does briefly kick in then drops down to the mark between 50 and 90 also the heater is working very well thanks for replying guys

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i get the impession that it is an air block so gonna check level in the morning hopefully will have to add more coolant (if its got rid of some air) run it up again and give this bottom pipe a good old squeeze fingers crossed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
been running it for a few days no over heating up to temp quite quick hasnt needed anymore water so am hoping its sorted The bottom pipe still isnt getting warm so am guessing this is normal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts