Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had the fault light come on regarding the Alfa 166 air bag (the little red man with the red ball in his lap) and had it resolved, or better still resolved it themselves. Would be dearly appreciated. Thanks for your input.

S

·
0 Posts
I've had this. Turned out that the sensor in the passenger chair that detects whether someone is sitting there was faulty. I didn't have to pay for it (warranty), but it's an expensive problem to solve and quite a hassle. But it could also be the wiring under the seats or the steering wheel connector (I've had that in another car).

Best to find out someone who can read out the error code and diagnose it properly. Otherwise, it remains a guess.

Sander

M

·
0 Posts
common problem in the 156..usually bad connector under the drivers seat which can be sorted with a quick solder job...

:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
This was a common fault at the beginning on mine - garage had to keep resetting it.

Turned out to be the connector under the passenger seat. Sorted with a cable tie around it pulled tight and hasn't been a problem for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
davidjbell said:
This was a common fault at the beginning on mine - garage had to keep resetting it.

Turned out to be the connector under the passenger seat. Sorted with a cable tie around it pulled tight and hasn't been a problem for the last 5 years.
Going to get a quick diagnostic and if this is the problem perhaps you can help me locate the unit under the passenger seat and I'll try your cable tie method?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
davidjbell said:

Oh and by the way David, after so many visits to the garage, how and after how many attempts did it take you to find the fault under the passenger seat. My Red air bag man is on permanent and then little yellow man flash intermittently after every minute or so:rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
The connector is actually under the passenger seat itself. The garage gave me a kind of 'shorting kit' that simulates the airbag and plugs into the connector to make sure it wasn't the side seat airbag itself (god knows what it does to your leather if it goes off!).

After 3 days went back and looked at the codes - there was nothing so they connected it all back up again and tied the two halves of the connector together tightly with a plastic cable tie to make sure. They then said come back if the light comes on, because it might mean a fault in the side airbag - that was 5 years ago and its never come on since.

I used to find that the light would come on if you had to brake suddenly - again pointing at more at mechanical issues - either sensors or cabling as the cable and connector kind of dangle underneath the seat.

The yellow man is detector for somebody sitting in the passenger seat - the red airbag indicator seems to be for any airbag related issue. I only had the red one - I'm guessing that it was because it was always the side airbag that was playing up.

If you have both, then it sounds definitley like the passenger side - as noted it may be seat sensor related.

You will have to get somebody with a diagnostic kit to reset the codes though as once tripped they never go off by themselves.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
herodutus said:
This happened me last week. It was as said a loose wire under the passenger seat and is now off
Hey, 'Herodutus', did you get it connected to the Alfa diagnostic and it came up with 'passenger seat' fault. What did you do to the wire, had it broken, disconnected, did you get a new wire?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts