Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual (and the note on the driver's door pillar) says that the airbag is only good for 10 years.

As there's many of us coming up to (or past) that threshold, has anyone had their airbags serviced?

Any Alfa independents on here able to do such a service or is it an Alfa dealer job only?

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
you can't "service" them.
So the choice is either to replace them or ignore the 10-year issue.

When you find out the cost, you will choose the 2nd option!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The sticker's a bit misleadimg then aint it(!?) So ther's no way of telling if they're still gassed up then? I noticed someone was selling a set of Airbags on ebay that were the same age as mine ... which I imagine would be a waste of time buying ...?

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
The sticker's a bit misleading then aint it(!?) So ther's no way of telling if they're still gassed up then
They aren't "gassed up" at all.
The gas is produced by the explosive charge.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Airbags are a bit like parachutes.

You never know until you need one, if they are going to work.

Don't worry we lived with out airbags.

Parachutes well thats only on luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can tell that the electrics haven't had a failure - if there has been one then the airbag light goes on and stays on (until reset).

Apparently, there's no check that can be done on the explosive charge, and it's realtively expensive to replace it.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
o....k thanks for that but my point is that with fire extinguishers for instances you can tell in they are still charged up. Is this possible with airbags?
Airbags DO NOT have a gas cartridge, as we have already said they have an explosive charge.
How would you like to test the explosive charge...?

VERY different to a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There isn't a great deal of information out there as to why airbags should be replaced but I found this while doing a quick google search.

End of life airbag
Every airbag has a rated life expectancy in which it should perform as intended. Most manufacturers state 10 some 15 years. As the module matures and it’s life cycle exceeded, pellets will suffer from fatigue and crumble. The increased surface area of degraded propellant will give rise to faster ignition with much greater deployment force that can burst the airbag.
So it looks like an older airbag will give a bigger explosion rather than not go off at all!

Link to info - http://www.resqmed.com/NaH3.pdf#4

·
Registered
154 Posts
Airbags DO NOT have a gas cartridge, as we have already said they have an explosive charge.
How would you like to test the explosive charge...?

VERY different to a fire extinguisher.
I get your point. The sticker is very misleading though. Lights been on for a while now by the way, since before the 'expiry'. Are there many airbags to replace?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The light has nothing to do with the expiry. It means that - at some point - the ECU has detected an electrical problem in relation to the airbag circuitry.

Usually it happens because the connector under the drivers (or passenger) seat is a little flaky. If you move the seat while the ignition is on, the connection is affected and the airbag light comes on.

You can get the light reset at an Alfa independent garage. But if the connection is affected again, it'll come back on again.

Best permanent fix is to find the connector and do a direct solder connection.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The light has nothing to do with the expiry. ...
Best permanent fix is to find the connector and do a direct solder connection.
Yep I relasied the two aren't connect .. esp as the light came on before the expiry :) I also read about the underseat connection ta.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The material could also degrade after 10 years also, apparently !
I work as a tutor/ technician at a college in the motor vehicle section, I discharge an airbag every year to demonstrate airbag deployment.
The airbags are donated from vehicle recyclers and I can assure you that they do discharge big time, inflate fully with no noticeable time lag even on air bag units that are almost 20 years old.
The only way to so call service them is to check the module's ecu for fault codes that would illuminate the airbag warning light anyway and to replace the airbags and seat belt pre tensioners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts