Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there peeps i no its been a while but hey i have the alfa bug back in force with unfortunately deep lined pockets hahahaha .
right to business 156 2.4 jtd just bought this mean machine found the clutch slipping badly enough to replace managed to source one at £140 pounds locally or 90 pounds of the world wide web ..am i right in saying that all the front subframe steering rack etc etc etc has to be removed just to do this little bit of a job hahahaha and is it possible to do on axle stands in a garage or easier to pay dealer to do .:cheese:
thanks guys

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
The other thing you need to worry about is: do you also need a new DMF...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Don't some people replace DMF with a standard one from another model?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Don't some people replace DMF with a standard one from another model?
That would depend on if his 20V was a 10V or 20V, the former one allowing the the use of the V6 flywheel and clutch, but with the engine producing more torque than a V6 I'd reocommend staying with the DMF.

The worst part about replacing a JTD clutch is if you don't replace the DMF and you get the judder and squeak as you release the clutch, meaning you have to do it all again to replace the DMF.

To replace the Clutch on the JTD the subframe does have to come off, aswell as the exhaust, suspension, airbox and battery tray, also if you have the 20V I'd recommend replacing the Slave cylinder whilst you have the box off, that would be £55 well spent IMO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right then guys had a look today i really dont think its the clutch at all if it was just the clutch i would still have a clutch pedal but wouldnt be able to put it in gear whilst running . dont these have a slave cylinder on the gear box that is linked to the brake system as the reservoir has not any fluid in it and i had fluid coming over the gear box from under the battery tray . also the power stearing pipes that go over the gearbox are leaking ....any one no where to get replacement bits as in the pipework ...thanks again guys oh yes its a 10 valve

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
That would be the slave cylinder on a 10V let go then, Nice easy fix there for you then.

www.alfaworkshop.co.uk and you'll have the part next day, also get some dot 4 or 5.1 brake fluid for bleeding and toping up the clutch afterwards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
so does that mean if you can get it in gear without depressing the pedal whilst the engine is running,the pressure plate has collapsed,causing the clutch to stay compressed?.thanks

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
so does that mean if you can get it in gear without depressing the pedal whilst the engine is running,the pressure plate has collapsed,causing the clutch to stay compressed?.thanks
If it goes into gear while the engine is running WITHOUT pressing the pedal, then either the release fork has jammed or the input shaft has sheared. But I think he means his pedal is stuck on the floor and the gearbox is wet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
getting confused now the issue i have is this with the engine running i can put the car into gear yes the clutch is depressed stuck down as the slave cylinder has gone down leaked all fluid out of the reservoir so thats the first job. So what are we saying the clutch has still gone or will it sort the problem by just replacing the slave cylinder and bleeding it up ...many thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right then peeps i can give you all an update it isn't the slave cylinder either that looks ok with no visible leaks its the pipe work that comes from the clutch pedal slave across the bulk head to a union from the union it goes to a equaliser then goes to the slave cylinder i would definately reconmend that people check this as it has corroded in its plastic clamp and apparently alfa no its a problem will post some pics tomorrow so thats to all those pout there that gave me advise you are all top blokes and a credit to the forum .

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
...its the pipe work that comes from the clutch pedal slave across the bulk head to a union from the union it goes to a equaliser then goes to the slave cylinder i would definately recommend that people check this as it has corroded in its plastic clamp and apparently Alfa know its a problem ...
Sounds like the same cause to the problem as we have with the brake pipes too... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
Even if the pipe is split it still won't cause the clutch to slip.

I think you have a worn clutch as well as dodgy pipework.

The DMF is usually damaged from heat caused by the clutch slipping, so the less you can drive it until its fixed the better chance you have of not needing a new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts