Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought head gasket because of the mayo in cap but was wrong because that was caused by cold weather.

I thought the rattle that had started was the cam belt but again I was wrong.

Thought it could have been shell bearings but again wrong.

Took the top off yesterday and we found our noisy little culprit!!

Advice gratefully received on points to look for now. I'm thinking of just replacing the cylinder block rather than getting it bored as it would make more sense to replace the whole block, the valves, the rocker arm and shaft etc.

But what should I worry about/look for further down in the engine? When the piston blew it was brought home at about 15/20 mph for a distance of about 3 miles ish.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I'm guessing that bits of piston have belted the valve upwards and broken the follower? Why did the piston break? Big end failed perhaps. You need to get the head and sump off for a look but unless you like a project i think i'd be looking for another engine.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Might not be a total disaster; depends how badly the head has been damaged. I've seen this before and managed to re-use the head. I would advise that your first course of action should be to clean out as much of the loose debris as possible before carrying out a compression test, which will tell you whether or not the head has definitely got to come off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks. There doesn't look like much more damage than there is in the pic bit as you say, what caused the piston to blow in the first place.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Okay, we need to be clear - has a piston broken up? The bit we are looking at in your picture is the cam follower which sits below the cam shaft, you won't be able to see the pistons untill you take the head off (or have a squint down one of the plug holes or take the sump off)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts