Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

On a different post i asked for support around driveshaft issue thanks for all the help by the way but I still have an issue after parts changed so looking for suggestions experience or hopefully a straight laugh at me because it something so simple and I'm just not seeing it either one I really need help. So here it is

I have a 2004 1.9 jtd 8v 156 veloce with 70k on clock bought about 3 weeks ago as a Cat C, all damage down drivers side with a dent in each panel, very light in wing bigger but nothing major in rear quarter.

When I collected the passenger side front bearing was goosed. And driver side tyre inner edge mullered

I changed both sides bearings as well as the drivers tyre, after this the bearing hum was gone but there was heavy knocking at low speed changed both front drop links which pretty much cleared knocking think bushes are a little worn so some still there.

Noticed play on passenger side track rod so changed out and got tracking done to 0 as recommended and had both wheels rebalanced.

I do a lot of motorway driving and had noticed a weird judder/vibration through steering wheel, pedals and floor. What's weird about it is that it only happens at certain throttle positions and gets more intense the faster you go. It's noticeable from 45/50 mph if you accelerate quarter throttle its there, if you push the pedal to the floor it goes away but as soon as you reduce the throttle to say a quarter it starts again this continues but the amount of throttle position causing the judder increases to the point that at about 80 ish it's virtually at all throttle positions.

If you lift off fully it goes away, if you accelerate further at the lower speeds it goes away, if you dip the clutch it goes away. Intensity stays the same when left, right or straight.

Started thinking that it has to be so where on the drivetrain and asked advice on here and multiple people highlighted driveshaft play.

After getting under it there was very limited play in the c.v's but the rubber weight halfway down the passenger sides driveshaft seemed very loose and 1 edge of it had clearly been rubbing on something and worn rubber down to metal.

So ordered new one and finally just finished putting it in. Driving back home with it and it's not changed a thing.

Really need help, can't keep throwing money at it but not willing to see such a beautiful car go the scrappy.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Ok guys,

On a different post i asked for support around driveshaft issue thanks for all the help by the way but I still have an issue after parts changed so looking for suggestions experience or hopefully a straight laugh at me because it something so simple and I'm just not seeing it either one I really need help. So here it is

I have a 2004 1.9 jtd 8v 156 veloce with 70k on clock bought about 3 weeks ago as a Cat C, all damage down drivers side with a dent in each panel, very light in wing bigger but nothing major in rear quarter.

When I collected the passenger side front bearing was goosed. And driver side tyre inner edge mullered

I changed both sides bearings as well as the drivers tyre, after this the bearing hum was gone but there was heavy knocking at low speed changed both front drop links which pretty much cleared knocking think bushes are a little worn so some still there.

Noticed play on passenger side track rod so changed out and got tracking done to 0 as recommended and had both wheels rebalanced.

I do a lot of motorway driving and had noticed a weird judder/vibration through steering wheel, pedals and floor. What's weird about it is that it only happens at certain throttle positions and gets more intense the faster you go. It's noticeable from 45/50 mph if you accelerate quarter throttle its there, if you push the pedal to the floor it goes away but as soon as you reduce the throttle to say a quarter it starts again this continues but the amount of throttle position causing the judder increases to the point that at about 80 ish it's virtually at all throttle positions.

If you lift off fully it goes away, if you accelerate further at the lower speeds it goes away, if you dip the clutch it goes away. Intensity stays the same when left, right or straight.

Started thinking that it has to be so where on the drivetrain and asked advice on here and multiple people highlighted driveshaft play.

After getting under it there was very limited play in the c.v's but the rubber weight halfway down the passenger sides driveshaft seemed very loose and 1 edge of it had clearly been rubbing on something and worn rubber down to metal.

So ordered new one and finally just finished putting it in. Driving back home with it and it's not changed a thing.

Really need help, can't keep throwing money at it but not willing to see such a beautiful car go the scrappy.

Thanks

Mark
Did the drivers side wheel take an impact? I had a similar vibration when a relatively new tyre started to lose it's shape. Appeared to be associated with a slightly buckled wheel that I had damaged in a pothole.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the drivers side wheel take an impact? I had a similar vibration when a relatively new tyre started to lose it's shape. Appeared to be associated with a slightly buckled wheel that I had damaged in a pothole.
Hmmm, I don't blive it did but would make sense, only thin is both have been balanced so would have thought it would have been picked up.

Will check that when next off, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Engine mounts / steady bar?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts