Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you put your age on a CV? What about dates that give clues to your age e.g. the date you left school?

I've always been of the opinion that your age should be on your CV, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it should be removed once you pass 40? If you don't indicate your age, it almost implies you have something to hide.

(This thread was prompted by a discussion on TV this morning about job hunting, where they advised that age should not be on a CV).

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
No, it should have no bearing on your ability to do a job.

Ageism is rife, don't give an employer an opportunity to use your age to discriminate against you.

Sean

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Afraid so mate ;) no disrespect

Google

:)

Following that Google link I got to this page....

Improving your CV after 50 : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

which states clearly that they don't think (anyone over 50 at least) should put their age on a CV. However, they go on to point out that you should avoid showing time gaps between jobs, which implies that dates of employment should be shown and therefore presumably the date you started your first job, thus indicating your age. :confused:

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
No, it should have no bearing on your ability to do a job.

Ageism is rife, don't give an employer an opportunity to use your age to discriminate against you.

Sean
Or, take the other viewpoint - don't put your age on and then ACCUSE an employer of discriminating against you even when they haven't.

Unless the job has age restrictions, leave your age off your CV. You can put in the years you were at school, uni and previous jobs.
Also, and most importantly, tailor your CV for the job you are applying for. That doesn't mean lie, it means emphasise certain things that are relevant for that role, and leave out, or say less, about those that are irrelevant.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My age is not on my CV but obviously School/University Exam dates are .I think my problem could be that I look young for my years and the interviewer may subconciously feel I look to young for the seniority of role I am applying for.Not discrimination as such but I think an once it gets to the interview stage people do Judge/discriminate whether conciously/subconcously .

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would not employ someone unless I knew their age, cant have an 80 year old or a 17 year old driving a bus you know :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
The company that I work for are looking for staff at the moment, so get to see a lot of CV’s at the moment. Seems to be a 50/50 split as to the date of birth being shown.

I had my age on mine and didn’t really think it was incorrect but next time I update it will probably remove it

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
A levels in 1970 should give a clue to my age whether my DoB is there or not. In these anti discrimination days it shouldn't matter, but I'm sure it does.

If you don't get called for interview how can you tell - if you do how do you know how well the successful applicant did?

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
A levels in 1970 should give a clue to my age whether my DoB is there or not. In these anti discrimination days it shouldn't matter, but I'm sure it does.

If you don't get called for interview how can you tell - if you do how do you know how well the successful applicant did?
Most of the time you can't tell but just occassionally it becomes very obvious :mad:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You never put your age on a CV
Of course employment dates history (after school/university) offer a major clue.
Its a dumb move to offer it and no value to the candidate to put it down.

Its like that other dumb expression often stated on a CV /covering letter or worse in the interview ...
"I was made redundant ".

No you weren't ...your job/position was.
You are still OK and ready for another role.
Your skills and abilities are not redundant in this day and age.

I spend ages with folks that I interview telling them that even if they miss out on this occasion (theire is only one job at a time) look the next interviewer in the eye and say my postion was made redundant.
I eagar and ready for work.

Alan

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
Never had a CV, two peugots but no Citron! Wouldn't be seen dead near one.

The point is moot surely. We want to see qualifications etc etc so we tend to work back from that. I think if they have saved me the bother of trying to work it out then they get one extra interview point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts