Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that's it, I came to a point where I can't stand it anymore, and it's not the rocking per se, it's the squeaking that now accompanies every single speed bump that drives me up the wall.

Apart for the obvious WD40 solution for the squeaking, what's exactly that causes the rocking and can it be fixed without changing the seat base?

Can somebody please enlighten me on the topic?

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
The rocking can sometimes be fixed (very short term) by using the alfa re-bushing kit.... This was told to me by a main dealer. However it didn't make the slightest bit of difference to mine so they ended up replacing the whole base (at quite a considerable cost - to them) and this rectified it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately my Alfa stealer's warranty has expired, so I don't think they'd care much, the ba$tards..
What's this re-bushing kit and when can one buy it? I haven't managed to have a look under the seat yet, but can anybody explain what actually causes the rocking?

·
Registered
472 Posts
what are the specific conditions of this rocking seat thingy? is it that the seat doesnt slide into a stable position and just moves around?

I just know this will end up happening to mine.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what are the specific conditions of this rocking seat thingy? is it that the seat doesnt slide into a stable position and just moves around?

I just know this will end up happening to mine.
well, in my case the seat slightly oscillates back and forth when going through a speedbump or accelerating/braking. It's v annoying.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
My drivers seat has developed a very slight movement fore to aft but it doesn't intrude under normal driving, I use the electric seats daily to have the seat as far back as it will go without touching the rear seats for aiding getting in and out.

Sometimes when parked on a hill and I hit the button to move it forwards there is a slight tilting of the seat base rocking me backwards, it is a VERY small movement but noticeable.

Mines got the later seats.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My seat rocked and the only solution was a new base and they aren't cheap.

Luckily I did saved search on eBay and picked one up for £50 new. That cured it.

I also had a bit of a squeak, but that didn't turn out to be the seat, it was the seat belt. The part where you plug the belt into. A bit of fiddling with that and it was sorted.

·
Registered
335 Posts
On my third seat base here, all fortunately replaced under warranty.

As for the specifics, the seat to seat back is sturdy enough, but they will rock as a complete unit on the back corner. I've never seen the bushing set but I'm assuming that it is the rear bushes on the height adjustment that give up so it ends up acting just like a rocking chair. I drive with the seat at it's very lowest and tilted back slightly which, going by results to date, appears to be the absolute worst position for the problem.

As this is a very well known issue you might have some come back if you get stroppy with Alfa direct as well as the dealer. Good luck !

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Do have a look at your seat belt buckle and see if it's got a big black fabric square stuck to it where it touches the seat. If it doesn't, that's where your squeak is coming from and can be fixed by adding a bit of fabric. If you've already got one, I don't know where your squeak is coming from...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you, but I have the same problem and have been considering taking it apart for a while now. In my case, I've managed to adjust the seat to a position where there is very little 'rocking', but it's less comfortable. Will get round to fixing it one of these days.....

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my third seat base here, all fortunately replaced under warranty.

As for the specifics, the seat to seat back is sturdy enough, but they will rock as a complete unit on the back corner. I've never seen the bushing set but I'm assuming that it is the rear bushes on the height adjustment that give up so it ends up acting just like a rocking chair. I drive with the seat at it's very lowest and tilted back slightly which, going by results to date, appears to be the absolute worst position for the problem.

As this is a very well known issue you might have some come back if you get stroppy with Alfa direct as well as the dealer. Good luck !
that's what I'm worried about. The change of base is not a fix, it's changing a faulty piece with one that will get faulty again, and at no cheap cost.

I think the whole thing poses a serious threat for safety, and Alfa Romeo should think about recalling the cars and have the part changed. It's expensive I know, but honestly apart for the movement per se, it doesn't feel safe.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
that's what I'm worried about. The change of base is not a fix, it's changing a faulty piece with one that will get faulty again, and at no cheap cost.

I think the whole thing poses a serious threat for safety, and Alfa Romeo should think about recalling the cars and have the part changed. It's expensive I know, but honestly apart for the movement per se, it doesn't feel safe.
It's also a potential MOT failure.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Does the problem occur in newer Breras? It's not something I've seen much talk of lately.

I was hoping the newer base would be an improved one over the original as they had sorted it. Mines been fine for over a year now...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Does the problem occur in newer Breras? It's not something I've seen much talk of lately.

I was hoping the newer base would be an improved one over the original as they had sorted it. Mines been fine for over a year now...
Yes. Sadly. Mine was due a new seat frame before I chopped it in for the current pre-facelift model:(

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hang on a minute, this just doesn't make sense. We're not talking about some satnav with tourettes or cigar lighter not working, this is a safety feature of the car that doesn't work properly. I have no intention of having to pay for that, it's like saying "yeah, your car has seatbelts, they kinda tend to snap off but hey, if you want them changed you have to pay for it". :tut:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nope, I haven't had time to look into it but I remember someone was gonna go through the base plate assembly and see if the faulty bushing could be changed.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Any updates? My electric seats are starting to creak whenever i get in and seat myself down, and usually when i take a sharp right turn.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I fixed the creaking with a bit of WD40 and felt pad on the seatbelt buckle arm, as for the rocking, I moved the seat about and it has stopped apparently!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts