Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Aftermarket head unit experiences

4393 Views 47 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Jpe61
I'm looking for experiences on installing and using aftermarket head units, with emphasis on the following aspects:
  • Installed on MiTo​
  • Has Android Auto and Apple Carplay​
  • Preferrably an Android device, but brand units like Pioneer, Alpine & such also ok​
So: what did you get, how did it work out.

P.S. I'm not interested in "I heard that", "XYZ has good reviews" or any other non first account experiences.
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,578 Posts
Mine is the same 03A, steering wheel buttons work, only odo flashing is the real problem.
Same as me then. I will update here once I get the replacement Canbus adapter.

Reactions: valeryk89x

· AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,578 Posts
OK so I finally received the alternative red CAN adaptor (version 2A) and swapped it followed by a Proxi check. I had warning that ETM was missing. I then ran the alignment and it was a SUCCESSSSS! Turned off ignition. Turned it back on and no more flashing mileage. Only minor issue was the steering wheel controls didn't work by default so I had to do the following:
Go to Settings > Car settings > Factory Settings > Enter Pin 126 > Canbus type > Change it to selection - 17 FIAT (Simple, Union). Save and exit. This then allowed the steering buttons to work as expected.

Handwriting Font Rectangle Screenshot Software
Automotive exterior Gadget Font Reflex camera Vehicle
Font Rectangle Software Handwriting Parallel
Rectangle Wood Flooring Netbook Font

· Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Heads up, got MiTo back from repair shop yesterday, the HU is waiting in the post office, prolly will install this weekend...

· Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Well, its in now, works well enough for starters. Found out I have a dead left front main speaker, so that'll need to be adressed...

Wheel buttons don't work, but I haven't done proxy alignment yet.

- edit:
Wheel buttons work now that I did what @metalgod23 wrote earlier:
Go to Settings > Car settings > Factory Settings > Enter Pin 126 > Canbus type > Change it to selection - 17 FIAT (Simple, Union). Save and exit.

No need for proxy alignment (I think), no blinking odo as I left the BM box where it was.

Radio reception is really bad, I may need to think of something for that too... I had to use an adapter, maybe that's just too much for the system?
-edit:
Just needed an adapter with phantom power feed for the car's antenna amp:
Data transfer cable Usb cable Cable Auto part Font

Installed that, all good now!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts