Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has done something like the title says.

Have been on eBay searching around as mine is still the factory one, ugly as hell. Just like the one on the pic.

I'm afraid of buying one and not fitting, as the tail pipe does a small curve...

Edit: I was thinking about one tip (no pun intended) like this one from Argo:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought one similar, I ended up cutting a small semi circle out of the back end so it fitted over the curve in the OEM pipe, I think I had to tap another hole in to put an additional securing bolt to keep it level as well, it added about 10 minutes to the fitting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought one similar, I ended up cutting a small semi circle out of the back end so it fitted over the curve in the OEM pipe, I think I had to tap another hole in to put an additional securing bolt to keep it level as well, it added about 10 minutes to the fitting.
Seems a good idea, although I don't have the tools to cut it. And I possibly lack the skill for it.

Do you have any pics?
Yes I did one on my 159, I'll see if I still have the pics to show how I cut it.
That'd be great, I do hate the looks of that tip.

Looks weird with a rear that pretty.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
for my former 1.9JTDm I bought around 8 years ago quite short tail tip - it fitted as shown on pictures - to me was bit too going outside. in the time I didn't have angular grinder or other tools to do quick mods, but my mechanic managed to move whole exhaust a bit towards front (say 2cm?) when I visited him for next service, so all looked OK.
yesterday, I changed my Giulietta's exhaust different way - guys in exhaust shop cut original 8cm chrome tail pipes with bit of pipe itself and welded 10cm diameter, vertically ended tail pipes.
the one you are showing seems quite long, may be problematic to fit well.

Attachments

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
We make these - its a straight-through performance rear section in stainless steel which eliminates the factory backbox altogether.

We can either make a pair (you can use a 2.4 JTDM middle pipe to fit them on a 1.9), or just a single left hand side one.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for my former 1.9JTDm I bought around 8 years ago quite short tail tip - it fitted as shown on pictures - to me was bit too going outside. in the time I didn't have angular grinder or other tools to do quick mods, but my mechanic managed to move whole exhaust a bit towards front (say 2cm?) when I visited him for next service, so all looked OK.
yesterday, I changed my Giulietta's exhaust different way - guys in exhaust shop cut original 8cm chrome tail pipes with bit of pipe itself and welded 10cm diameter, vertically ended tail pipes.
the one you are showing seems quite long, may be problematic to fit well.
I guess the best bet is to leave it to the pros.
I don't have the tools and probably not the skill needed either.

I didn't want to have it getting to "out" of the back of the car...

Saw a few with about 16/17cm in length, seems too much.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We make these - its a straight-through performance rear section in stainless steel which eliminates the factory backbox altogether.

We can either make a pair (you can use a 2.4 JTDM middle pipe to fit them on a 1.9), or just a single left hand side one.
Looks pretty good.
I imagine you don't ship to foreign countries?

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
No sorry i cant remember, it was 3 or 4 years ago. I think I went by the diameter of the pipe but again I cant remember the size but its easy to measure.
both cuts were done with a hacksaw which if you dont already have one will be cheap to buy, I also drilled a hole and taped a thread to fit a securing bolt to hold it in place.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No problem!
Anyway, I've seen one on eBay that's about 10cm, seems way smaller and might not look bad.

If I go with a longer one, I'll cut it (I do have a hacksaw) and I'll ask my colleagues at work to tape a thread.

The diameter on mine is about 6cm, already measured it.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
No sorry i cant remember, it was 3 or 4 years ago. I think I went by the diameter of the pipe but again I cant remember the size but its easy to measure.
both cuts were done with a hacksaw which if you dont already have one will be cheap to buy, I also drilled a hole and taped a thread to fit a securing bolt to hold it in place.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You should already have twin pipes, right? You just want bigger tips?
Yes, I've got the twin tips. I like them as standard but I was wondering about modding the exhaust a bit, nothing too nuts. I know it's a 4-pot DERV so it'll never sounds racey, but though I might free up a couple of horses and sound a bit nicer?

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Two things really, removing the backbox will make it sound a bit better (but not even what you'd describe as loud, or at all racy sounding), and it'll free it up a bit. Bigger tailpipe trims will look better in the rear bumper.

Both these things can be achieved by replacing the rear exhaust section with a straight-through type replacement with bigger tips, all in stainless steel. We make one for the 1750 TBI but I believe the diameter is different on the 2.0 JTDM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts