Alfa Romeo Forum banner

aftermarket air filters

22747 Views 142 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  twincamms
Hey up guys,

Any of you use after market air filters not just a new panel filtering but a performance one from K&n etc. Where you take out the current box etc and replace it with a new cone etc?

Are they any good ? Do they make it sound nice? Or just a waste?

And are they easy to fit?

Cheers,

Bilal (gt 2.0jts)
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

· Registered
2,267 Posts
Hey up guys,

Any of you use after market air filters not just a new panel filtering but a performance one from K&n etc. Where you take out the current box etc and replace it with a new cone etc?

Are they any good ? Do they make it sound nice? Or just a waste?

And are they easy to fit?

Cheers,

Bilal (gt 2.0jts)
Personally I don't use one as I think the standard setup works very well. If you do decide to go for one then I'd suggest you avoid the oiled type as the oil can get sucked into the MAF and bugger it.

· Registered
269 Posts
I'd be interested to know this too, replaced the filter a while ago and the limited access doesn't make it the easiest of jobs. Not one I'd relish doing again!

I heard the K & N cone-type jobs can be troublesome as the MAF doesn't like it apparentley.

G

·
It's a common misconception that after market cone filters destroy MAF's.

Yes, some come over oiled initially but it' isn't necessarily the oil that causes the issue.

You have to remember that 90% of the owners who fit aftermarket filter assemblies are doing it as a repair measure for a badly fitted /damaged OE air box and lid so....
In retrospect, the damage has already been done to the MAF sensor already due to dirty unfiltered air flowing through the MAF body already and often for months before hand... Then when it is sealed once and for all then the running issues become more apparent... It becomes all too easy to blame the fitting of a new after market filter then as the automatic item to blame as it has just been fitted!:rolleyes:

I have been running an Apiro Torque dual cone filter sitting at the top of the OE filter box, using the filter box as a natural heat shield for two years on my V6 and also used the exact same filters in my old 2.0 TS and 2.4 10v JTD for 4 years before that... I have never, ever had an issue with them and never had a MAF fail on me.

They are still running fine and dandy, my sister owns my old 2.0TS and my brother in law, my old 2.4 JTD which I service and look after for them.

If in doubt about "over oiled" cone filters... A simple process can eliminate the remote possibility of it contaminating the MAF sensor.
Remove and disconnect the MAF body itself, directly fit the after market cone filter to the induction tube and take the car for a spirited run out for 20 miles or so... Granted the car will run lumpy while the MAF is removed but you will suck any of the excess oil through the induction system in the meantime within the first 10 miles anyway...
Come home, remove the filter and refit it all together with the MAF body in place... No more problem!

I have 6 years of using these filters and not one single MAF failure in three Alfa's, what does that tell you?;)

Don't automatically assume something is unreliable to fit, it is all down to the technical experience of the person who fits them and the reasons why they have to, that is to blame;)

· Registered
28 Posts
I have installed the 3A racing filter in my Mito. The filter is basically lying inside the open air box. I did tested the temperatures inside the factory airbox with the standard filter and with the cone filter open under the bonnet. Believe it or not but the temperatures around the filter are excatly the same. I have done the test for more than 5 weeks in all driving conditions and you basically get about 3-4 degrees above the outside temp when driving on highways and it can get up to 25 degrees C above the outside temp when you driving dynamically through the city. if you are unsure spend $25 dollars for a 3 a racing filter (apparently better in airflow than k&N) and test it yourself. Have fun!

· Registered
2,168 Posts
I have a BMC CDA on my GT, I think it gives an awesomely powerful note in the cabin. No sure if it gives any performance gains, probably not, but it sounds lovely. They are pretty pricey, they're also a bit of a pain when it comes to dismantling, cleaning and re oiling. I left mine freshly oiled overnight on some newspaper and I was surprised to see how much excess oil had leaked off even tho I was careful how much oil I'd put on in the first place. Ran it without the MAF for a bit, just in case there was any more excess oil.
If you don't mind parting with silly money, I'd recommend you get one.

G

·
Some owners will wonder why I kept the original air box in place?
Why not remove it all together?
The truth is, the filter (Apiro Torque) fits perfectly into it and almost looks ready made to sit the rear lip of it around the ring where the air box lid would be. Then there is heat soak which can easily rob you of any extra horses, the plastic OE box happens to be good at preventing that... Then there is also the dreaded deep puddle potential of hydro-locking your engine...
Again, the OE air box does a reasonable job of preventing this too, it has two drain holes in the bottom to release any splashed in water... The Apiro sits about 5" higher up and clear from the bottom of the air box so less chance of sucking up water than you would with a standard filter.

One modification I did do to the OE air box was to remove the V6 cold air feed to it that sits in the inner wing behind the splash guard. A 76mm 90 degree alloy tube now sits in its place with two stainless steel jubilee clips holding it into position, one on the inside of the box and one on the outside. So now I have the same diameter cold air feed as the induction pipe and throttle body with no natural bottle necks in it at all and it also sits up higher than the standard OE V6 or GTA pipe thus reducing water ingression even further. Just nice lovely cold air entering the air box;)

The induction noise is of a deeper note but not as tinny or intrusive as it would be without the air box present. Throttle response improved a lot on all three engine variants I have used them on.
Performance gains are subjective though... It seems a little quicker bearing in mind that the maximum you will gain is maybe 3-4 extra horses...

But the proof of the pudding to me was a steep hill that I travel up near my home... Previous to fitting the filter mods the engine would drop revs in top gear and inevitably I would have to drop down a gear to maintain the revs going up this hill.

After the mods:
The same car's cruised up the hill without having to change down and in fact the revs would start to rise:wow:
I also noticed a few added benefits too, all engines sounded much better with them fitted and complimented their distinctive engine notes.
Mpg... At first i didn't notice any gains probably down to the new addictive engine note which I wanted to hear all the time:lol: But... after settling down and cruising along, it as quiet as the OE set up and on motorway journeys I noticed around 20-30 miles improvement per full tank (paying for all the filter and mods within the first two tank fulls):thumbs:

It literally gives a new definition to "hitting the load pedal" and quiet when you want it to be From monster to a sheep in 1" of travel on the throttle pedal!

Was it worth it?
You damn right it was;)

· Registered
48 Posts
My 2.4 JTD came with a K&N cone when I bought it, no problems to report so far, except whoever had fitted it only made one weedy bracket so the filter was basically hanging on the MAF wiring, which is never good.

I don't know what a standard JTD sounds like, but mine sounds ace when you driving it hard.

· Registered
30,096 Posts
I've got a direct replacement Pipercross filter on order for the GT. Have one in the Brera :)

· Registered
2,053 Posts
i had an autodelta one fitted until the MAF went awol. went back to OE and no issues..

Only thought could be was that the AD one wasn't fitted quite right in the airbox,poss air leak somewhere maybe?:tut:

· Registered
1,379 Posts
Some owners will wonder why I kept the original air box in place?
Why not remove it all together?
The truth is, the filter (Apiro Torque) fits perfectly into it and almost looks ready made to sit the rear lip of it around the ring where the air box lid would be.
I've got one too, and will get another when its due, but I want to fit it without the slightly restrictive adapter. Did you fit it with the standard adapter or, as you say, fit it to over the tubing in the airbox somehow?

[email protected]

· Registered
269 Posts

· Registered
983 Posts
i had an autodelta one fitted until the MAF went awol. went back to OE and no issues..

Only thought could be was that the AD one wasn't fitted quite right in the airbox,poss air leak somewhere maybe?:tut:
...and the Autodelta filter is an oil free filter... did you oil it? :thumbs:

I have an Autodelta filter in my boot... waiting for the screws in the airbox to be less... awkward...

Nope, just had another look and they are near impossible to get to with a pair of grips. Why did they use bolts instead of screws? Or screwbolts ideally...

Nick

· Registered
2,053 Posts
...and the Autodelta filter is an oil free filter... did you oil it? :thumbs:

I have an Autodelta filter in my boot... waiting for the screws in the airbox to be less... awkward...

Nope, just had another look and they are near impossible to get to with a pair of grips. Why did they use bolts instead of screws? Or screwbolts ideally...

Nick
No. I didn't oil it.

G

·
I've got one too, and will get another when its due, but I want to fit it without the slightly restrictive adapter. Did you fit it with the standard adapter or, as you say, fit it to over the tubing in the airbox somehow?

[email protected]

No adaptor mate, But this is my V6 mind which is 76mm ID all the way.

This is the filter assembly just before I changed it for a new Apiro filter...
You will notice that the MAF body is fitted directly to the filter neck then my further mods all the way to the throttle body so no bottle necks;)

You can just say see at the right the top rubber part of the filter itself sitting where the original lid would be

· Registered
2,267 Posts

You will notice that the MAF body is fitted directly to the filter neck then my further mods all the way to the throttle body so no bottle necks;)

You can just say see at the right the top rubber part of the filter itself sitting where the original lid would be
You may have convinced me and the price for that filter is certainly right. Just wondering if I can use the same setup on my JTS and not have to make too many modifications.

· Registered
1,379 Posts

so how is it attached? You didn't use the rubber adapters as pictured, no?

"The truth is, the filter (Apiro Torque) fits perfectly into it and almost looks ready made to sit the rear lip of it around the ring where the air box lid would be." - the lip inside the airbox bends outwards a bit, making it wider, so without the adapter it doesn't fit. did you remove that?

[email protected]

· Registered
5,228 Posts
Got a BMC CDA. Only ever lightly oiled it. Never Killed a MAF in the last 9000miles.

Sounds more like scaremongering if you ask me. Makes a nice noise and Torque improved although not much on the hp front. Barely noticable. But gives the 1.6 a bit more torque lower down. To the point I can use 5th to go up hills. Not quickly obviously but nice and progressive.

The standard airbox I'd have to down change alot more.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.