Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just one of those things that is very handy to know, and I thought one of you must surely know.

I was wondering how much fuel is left in the tank once the fuel light comes on ? Do I have 5 miles to get to a station or do I have more like 30 miles ?

I've heard that Alfa's are a ***** and have one of the smallest reserves of any car once the fuel light comes on.

Anyone find out the hard way ? wink Come on I bet someone has :p

F

·
0 Posts
Well, it all depends on which 155 you have. In the Q4 when the light comes on, start looking for somewhere to pull in! fuel consumption gives you about 5 mins! frown

W

·
0 Posts
Hi BB

On my old twinny I had about a gallon/30 miles left but never trusted the fuel gauge. I always reset the odometer at every fill and ran 300 miles before re-filling. Think the manual says 5 litres.

wrinx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah 5 litres or a gallon (4.564 litres wink ). That'll do, thanx. S'just that the needle was at the last red line, which is quite a bit away from the zero needle and the light came on.

I'm the nervous type who hates driving on a fuel light :) I suppose it comes from driving a Prelude for 2 years :p The light came on in that thing once and I managed to pull in almost immediately, only to put 49.5 litres into my 50 litre fuel tank eek! !!!! 1/2 litre is just under 3 miles driving in one of those things.

E

·
0 Posts
When the light comes on in my car I have about 20 liters left! :confused:
Which means I can safely do another 150km (100 miles). My advice: fill her up completely as soon as the light comes on, and see how much petrol goes in. Tank capacity minus amount equals reserve. So then you know. I always reset the trip meter when I fill up, and do about 550 to 600km on a tank.

C

·
0 Posts
My (2,0 16v)does just as El Gringo.

Kind of takes away, the function of the fuel light..(When you still have fuel, for a couple of houres of highway driving).

Something like crying out, the Wolf is coming....
If you know what I mean!

Morten

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Its probably best to fill up again when the red light comes on. Think of all the crap in your tank that will get sucked up and block your fuel filter when you drink the last drops...

F

·
0 Posts
Hi bealzbob, ive done 20 miles after light came on,wudnt chance any more.What part of dublin u from.
Alan.
Keep her clean.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are we talking "first light" ie when really pushing through corners, or are we talking "standard light" ie driving sensibly on a straight road?

1st light - usually 120 miles left

Std light - 30 miles

Having said that, I have put 62.5 litres in the V6 tank once, so is the tank 60+5 reserve?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fasud, meeza in Terenure.

HowardA - I got the "hammering it through a corner" light wink so that'll be 120miles :p

T

·
0 Posts
Hi everybody,

I'm a newbies in this group. Just checking how far can you go with a full tank assuming normal mixture if urban and highway driving? The highest I ever clocked was 550km on my 1.8 16V (1996)... Is that normal?

W

·
0 Posts
Hi TT

Welcome to the forum :D

I reckon 550km is about 340 miles. The tank is 63 litres which is about 13 gallons and my old 1.8 16v would do about 30 to the gallon from mixed driving. So in theory it looks possible to get 390miles or 627km from a tank.

Has anyone ever got this amount from a full tank?? I never went above about 330 and usually filled up at 300miles just to be safe.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
30mpg !!!!! you lucky lucky man. My fuel consumption is about as good as Dennis's.........but without the power :(

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Ouch, really? Used to get 29 outta the twinny (used 30 to make it easy!) and now 23/24 outta the V6. Sounds like you might as well buy a V6 :D

Some people on here get more than that from their V6's too!!!

wrinx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, my first fill got me just over 31mpg.

Right. My fuel light had been on for about 20 miles. The needle was between zero and the last little red mark yet I only managed to put just over 47litres into the car. Now if the tank is 63litres does that mean there's 16 extra litres in the tank aswell ?

There's quite a bit of travel between the zero indicator and the place where the needle rests on the nipple. Does this gap represent part of the tank aswell or does it run out when it hits zero ?

This would certainly explain the missing 16 litres.

W

·
0 Posts
BB

As previously stated, I never trust the gauges, they all read different so you're best going on mileage.

Neither would I trust the petrol pumps, or rather the filling process. You tend to get the pumps clicking off all over the place and cannot be sure how much you put in unless you use the same pump every time you fill.

wrinx

·
Registered
189 Posts
When I filled with 62.5 litres, I had covered 375 miles. A record distance for me in the V6, but regularly get 330 miles per fill up. Worst ever used to be 230ish when working in a city.

J

·
0 Posts
you should trust the pumps our pumps are inspected by the weights and measures department if they are out it means big trouble every pump should deliver the same weight of fuel for a measured amount.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts