Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story begins last week when I was all excited to go and purchase a GTV V6 from an Alfa enthusiast on the weekend. However Saturday quickly came after a half a dozen phone calls and messages I gave up trying to get in contact with the seller. Thank god no money had exchanged hands prior to this.

After being let down by the seller; I turned my attention towards getting a Subaru WRX and had abandoned my hopes of getting an Alfa. One of my brother's friends was selling a '99 WRX which had a fully forged engine, front mount intercooler, DBA slotted rotors (Front + rear), SS turbo-back exhaust, chipped and with stock turbo and suspension plus it was priced VERY reasonably and was clean inside and out.

At this point (Monday), I was very seriously contemplating just making the call to purchase the car having given it a test drive and been thoroughly impressed with the 160kW (215bhp) at all four wheels that it pumped out.

BUT thankfully today I made a decision when I was bored to catch the bus to go and see a 916 Spider at a dealership just for the heck of it. My god was I thoroughly impressed! Not only are they gorgeous.....even better than GTV's imho, but it drove incredibly well and it was great having the roof down so I could hear that TS engine properly. Sure, its not as quick as the V6 but it was a thoroughly enjoyable drive and as such, I'm taking a look at two Spider's over the coming days (1 tomorrow, 1 thursday).

Fingers crossed that these sellers don't screw me around like the last bloke and I can finally get myself that ellusive Alfa. Sadly there are no V6's out there atm but a TS will do me just fine for the time being :D

Wish me luck!:thumbs:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V6 24V spiders are very smooth , worth the wait.
Would love a V6 Spider but sadly there are A) None for sale in my state (about the closest one is some 800km away) and B) They are all well too expensive for myself.

I can get a V6 GTV but I prefer the experience of the Spider so will probably just settle for a 2.0 Spider and be happy with my purchase. Can always look at getting a V6 Spider if the chance ever arises but its pretty unlikely I would be able to afford it.

I'm a full-time student and decent 2.0 Spiders start around $8k (~4.8k GBP) and decent V6's are pushing $15k (~9k GBP). So as a student that is just far too much money for me :cry: So I am gonna have to settle for a TS. But in saying that; its still a fantastic car :D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
That's pretty pricy for a V6...the Uk market is much cheaper despite there not being that many 3.0 24V's about. £3-4k could see you in a 50,000 mile example. If you have driven a V6 GTV vs a TS you would see the difference. I've had one from new in 2001 and even now its power delivery feels smoother than my GTA 3.2. As a student live the soft top life with a 2L TS and use the saving on gas to save for something special.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty pricy for a V6...the Uk market is much cheaper despite there not being that many 3.0 24V's about. £3-4k could see you in a 50,000 mile example. If you have driven a V6 GTV vs a TS you would see the difference. I've had one from new in 2001 and even now its power delivery feels smoother than my GTA 3.2. As a student live the soft top life with a 2L TS and use the saving on gas to save for something special.
Yea Alfa's, especially GTV's and Spider's fetch a high price here as they never really sold many and those who do have good examples don't let go of them very easily.

Would love to be in the UK and pick them up far cheaper (seems around half the cost) but then again Australia (unlike the UK) actually has weather suitable for driving convertibles :p

And yep, saved fuel costs are planned for beer money and maintenance xD

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Time for a road trip to Aus in the Spider....ready market and fly home. I bet there is a catch, like massive import duties. I looked at driving a 100k Porsche 928 to Aus in 1987 to sell at the end, import duties, dubious petrol quality plus the cost of spares killed that idea off.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time for a road trip to Aus in the Spider....ready market and fly home. I bet there is a catch, like massive import duties. I looked at driving a 100k Porsche 928 to Aus in 1987 to sell at the end, import duties, dubious petrol quality plus the cost of spares killed that idea off.
Import duty would indeed kill you. They love taxing the crap out of any imported vehicles sadly.

Though it is lovely driving around in a convertible with the top dropped and the sun beaming down. All I saw when I was in the UK was rain, fog, and cloud xD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts