Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 GTV twinny, just wont run without a foot on the gas pedal. It wont start without it also, it appears to be some sort of fuel starvation however with the gas pedal depressed it runs and will drive normally. As soon as I take my foot off the engine forgets it has an idle point and stops.
Has anyone suffered similar issues or any ideas where to start the search?

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
97 GTV twinny, just wont run without a foot on the gas pedal. It wont start without it also, it appears to be some sort of fuel starvation however with the gas pedal depressed it runs and will drive normally. As soon as I take my foot off the engine forgets it has an idle point and stops.
Has anyone suffered similar issues or any ideas where to start the search?

Might be the idle control valve, give it a whack with the tip of a big screwdriver..

·
Registered
700 Posts
+1, sounds very similar to what was happening on my old GTV, get to know where it is under the bonnet and keep a screwdriver handy until you get it fixed...!

·
Registered
291 Posts
remove the two star screws which secure it be carfull with the gasket, then give it a good spray with anti static cleaner clean with ear bud , rinse in soupy water then clean water, put on radiator in house wrapped in tea towel to dry over night. reassemble do ecu and throttle reset job done.

if not this check lambda.

if not that check flow through cat mine had blocked due to only gong short distances same symptoms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys

Thanks for your prompt replys, next stupid question can someone give me some pointers as to where to find the offending item. I've done some searching, apparently it's easy to find and work on if you know where to look.... :(

Steve

·
Registered
291 Posts
it sits on top of the throttle body, at the top of the flexy induction pipe, you will see the 2 star screws sitting on top but be very carefull when lifting of as you dont want to damage the gasket.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Look at where the plenum turns into the intake, it is a black box on the throttle body.

I just replaced my whole throttle body on my 156 when it happened to me, because it was easier to do. They do up those screws so tightly!!!

The GTV has a bit of a different set up but not too different.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's terrific guys! screwdriver has been used to good effect and it's now running properly. I have located a used one and hopefully they will be swapped over Wednesday ever. Once again this forum and it's brilliant members comes to the rescue.

Thanks to all :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts