Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am after a GT, I think I want the diesel model due to mpg however if a 3.2 v6 comes along at a good price then I would consider it as the initial purchase price against a diesel model would offset the fuel costs for a while. I am an rx8 owners club member and have a fantastic example of the RX8 coupe that I need to sell first, my car appeared in Autocar magazine a few weeks back which was nice but it is now time for a change for me.

I remember a few years ago fifth gear compared the two cars both of which look great IMO.

Anyway here is my car:

Mazda RX8 231 Magazine Featured, Top Spec, Low Miles, Dealer History, High Compression, Stunning Car in Heanor, Derby | Used Mazda for sale | Gumtree.com

I am looking to spend between 4-6k on the GT depending on age, spec, mileage etc etc. I have already had one person contact me regarding their GT off here so keep them coming but as mentioned I need to sell my car first.

Cheers - Merry Christmas - Martin

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
if i did maths correct and only roughly........10000 miles in a diesel is £2800 cheaper than v6
hence why the jtd is holding its money better

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Martin,

Did you have a black Polo Gti a year or so back? I think I recognise your number plate from UKPolos :) I used to be a member on there with a silver GTi as well. I moved on to an Alfa when I sold it as well.

Good luck with the search! :thumbs:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mate yes thats me what a small world! I sold the polo GTI about two years ago and then it was between a GTV V6 or the RX8 and I opted for the RX8 and have loved every minute of it. However I now do more miles so I am now looking for a GT Coupe diesel as it retains the sporty looks of a coupe but will be healthier on the wallet. I have not dismissed the 3.2 v6 though because I have always fancied that engine and If I can get one a lot cheaper than a diesel then I must atleast consider it.

Here is a link to a couple of pics of the good old polo and the rx8:

ImageShack Album - 4 images

·
Registered
116 Posts
if i did maths correct and only roughly........10000 miles in a diesel is £2800 cheaper than v6
hence why the jtd is holding its money better
I make it more like just under £1,000 per 10,000 miles assuming 45mpg vs 25 mpg; £1.41 vs £1.32/litre. Not so bad but as our OP is driving an RX8 he'll be no stranger to fuel bills :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi mate yes thats me what a small world! I sold the polo GTI about two years ago and then it was between a GTV V6 or the RX8 and I opted for the RX8 and have loved every minute of it. However I now do more miles so I am now looking for a GT Coupe diesel as it retains the sporty looks of a coupe but will be healthier on the wallet. I have not dismissed the 3.2 v6 though because I have always fancied that engine and If I can get one a lot cheaper than a diesel then I must atleast consider it.

Here is a link to a couple of pics of the good old polo and the rx8:

ImageShack Album - 4 images
I thought it was you. :thumbs:
I know what you mean about going for a GT - retain the looks and much easier on the wallet. But as you are used to high fuel bills having an RX8 then a V6 might be the perfect car for you :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would the v6 compare to the rx8 on fuel - I average about 20 mpg in the rx8 but I do do a lot of stop start town driving. I presume its similar?

G

·
0 Posts
I got about 18mpg in my GT 3.2 which was pretty much all city driving (problem is with the GT 3.2 is it sounds so good you can't help but rev it). I'm getting 40mpg at present in my GT 1.9 JTDm, hence the reason I am driving a diesel nowadays :lol:

I'm still considering getting a 159 Ti at present so may sell my GT. Not sure as yet. It will be over your £6k budget but take into account it has had lots of work done on it of late including the bodywork, suspension arms, crank sensor, bluetooth/mp3 installed, a new stereo, road tax, remap (it has been checked over by the garage I use and has a clean bill of health now all the work is completed)...and it has FSH including the all important cambelt change. It's only done 50k on a 55 plate as well and is metallic silver with black leather and 18" alloys (which are a must for me on a GT).

I'm in no rush to sell if I decide to so give me a shout of your RX-8 sells if you are interested (and a very nice looking RX-8 it is too!!!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Graham, thanks for the info, your car sounds great and I agree about the 18" wheels, the 17's are just about exceptable but the 16s are a big no no! Quite a difference between the diesel and petrol then, im use to bad fuel consumption with the rx8 so it would be nice to double it with a diesel for a while. my email is [email protected] if you want to send info and pics mate.

Cheers - Martin

G

·
0 Posts
Yep Martin, 16's just look wrong

There is also the 2.0 JTS but to be honest you can only expect mid 20's in the city in that and it will be quite underpowered compared to your RX-8 so I don't think you would enjoy it (meant to be 165bhp but the one I owned didn't feel it). The diesel of the other hand feels pretty quick once remapped with bags of torque and the added advantage of the fuel not going down in front of your eyes when you cane it :lol:

My last car was a 159 3.2 Q4 so just as an example for you, I was putting £40 a week fuel in that and the last £40 I put in the GT 1.9 lasted me three weeks!!! To be fair it as approaching Christmas so I had cut down on my work travels a bit but not massively. I'm expecting the £40 to last me a fortnight though thus halving my bills

If you are ever over Nottingham way feel free to take my GT for a test drive...even if you don't want mine it will give you a feel for one

Good luck with the sale of the RX-8, it's a pity I need to save momey at the mo or we could have done a deal. I've always wanted an RX-8. I had an MX-3 1.8 V6 years ago and absolutely loved that car. I'm not known for keeping cars for very long but I hung onto that one for a couple of years which is a very long time for me :lol:

I'll send you a pic of mine, only got one at the mo from when I bought it but will take more when I get a mo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the rather rare mx3 and mx6 v6's were great little coupes. It's a shame we can't do a deal but i've replied to you by e-mail anyway and your car really looks/sounds very good. Unfortunately im in the position of having to sell before buying though so we shall see what the near future brings :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts