Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have just read somewhere that you needed to get your timing belt replaced at 75k miles but that has now been changed to 40k?? is this correct and how much should i expect to pay for this?

·
Registered
337 Posts
36k or 3 years. Which ever is sooner. JTS change averages aroun £350 - £400. Much more if you got to alfa.
Check around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks. i have about 41k on it so far, so i suppose i better start shopping around, i live in balloch in scotland so will shop around and hopefully get one quoting similar prices as whats on your link.

thanx

·
Registered
219 Posts
The belt should be changed every 36K. Expect to pay around £300.

Alfa Timing Belt Change Special Offer
Are these guys any good? The price seems very competitive as I was quoted £900 by HR Owen in London. I am considering them as I have to get my belts done in January 09. Would it be cheaper to get a combined belt change and service (although the price would be higher)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Alfa were making a contribution towards the cost of the cambelt change last time I called, as the cars were originally sold with the 72k mile interval.

I think they worked out quite reasonable after the discount.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Alfa were making a contribution towards the cost of the cambelt change last time I called, as the cars were originally sold with the 72k mile interval.

I think they worked out quite reasonable after the discount.
Do you know approx what percentage they will contribute of the total cost ? I will ring Alfa Uk and ask them if they will honour this.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Do you know approx what percentage they will contribute of the total cost ? I will ring Alfa Uk and ask them if they will honour this.
Unfortunately I don't, it was over a year ago now :(

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
Officially it's now 36K for JTS engines, but still 72K for V6 engines.

Although many think that 72K is still to long for a V6 belt change.
72K is definitely too much. 48K would be pushing it IMO.

As for the JTD - we've had a few belts let go, a lot around the 60k mark, but not due to tensioner failure (like on the TS/JTS/V6), but waterpump seizure snapping the belt.

So while JTDs may go the distance in terms of mileage, you really should think about changing the waterpump when you do a belt/tensioner change on the JTD. This applies to the 20v just as much as the 16v as they share a common waterpump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts