Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - hoping someone knows a bit more than me about how the aerial amplifier works (specifically in the Brera, but I suspect things are much the same in other models). Until recently I had a 2.4 Brera and the radio reception was excellent. I've just moved onto a 3.2S and the radio reception is rubbish. I fitted a Pioneer F700BT and I'm sure I've got the connections right for that. There is the usual coax cable for the aerial (needed an adaptor) and a single wire to power the aerial amplifier. I've checked that this is getting power when the radio is on, so I'm happy things are correct at the back of the radio.

Then I had a look by the right rear window and found a little black box with a pcb inside. This has a single wire connecting it to the tracks in the window, a thick coax which looks very much like the aerial cable that goes into the back of the radio and a thin coax. The thin coax only has 0.2 volts across it and there's zero volts anywhere else. 0.2 volts is not enough to power any kind of active circuit, so that would appear to be part of the problem.

So this is my dilemma - where did my 12 volts go? And how has my single wire at the back of the radio become a coax by the time it gets to the window? Obviously, there is something else going on in between, but what is it and where is it? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

John

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
sorry, i don't know the specifics.

but i have a question: did the 3.2S have the factory headunit fitted before? and if so, was reception as good as the 2.4? if so, then sure the poor reception is related to the new pioneer headunit. it is quite common - unfortunately - for aftermarket headunits to have reduced radio sensitivity because they are not specifically tuned (in terms of sensitivity/gain) for the market it is sold in.

:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair point. I didn't keep the factory head unit in there long enough to be sure - where I live both units seemed OK. It's as you travel around you find areas where the reception breaks-up whereas my previous Brera and 147 before that were fine. The 156 SW I had before that was sh*t like this one is. You may be right about after market units but I still think my problem is related to what looks like an amplifier not receiving the voltage to power it.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Then I had a look by the right rear window and found a little black box with a pcb inside.
Could you tell me where this "little black box" is please?
Is it behind the scary looking trim that says "AIRBAG" on it, which I daren't touch for fear of a face full of bag?! Just behind the window with the aerial in it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts