Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Does anyone have any advise on the type of jump start / power pack to buy if I want to jump start my 2.4D Brera?
At worst the car stands idle for 4 to 6 weeks at a time.
I try to use it everyother weekend, but sometimes its not practical.

I am looking at the Sealey RS1 power pack at about £110.

Does anyone ahve any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim,

It's a toss up for me between the one you reference at £60 and the other at £100 odd. Can't see if the difference in price is warranted.
Trouble is once it's bought, if it's not up to the job!
Oh well

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about getting a battery tester at the same time.
But again loads to choose from.
Any suggestions folks?

·
Registered
967 Posts
You could always buy a battery disconnection switch. The key operated ones act as a good anti-theft device. Optional Fused link keeps all low current operations working - which may or not be worthwhile if your battery is draining...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richbrook-Battery-Master-Switch-Fitting/dp/B002PMDLSY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422307119&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+key+switch

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007BR07N0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H7BG25DFTKDV3M1SZ35&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Picked up a tester in Lidl for 3.99 last week. Checks the battery and the alternator functions. Said my alternator was fine but the battery was down, which I knew!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I use the next model up from the SEALEY one you mentioned at £145 . Start absolutely anything and for the extra 40 quid , well you've got it for a long time once the money's spent !

·
Registered
338 Posts
Any update on this as i am also looking to purchase the RS1 and would like to know if its up to the job of starting my 2.4 Brera.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just keep mine topped up with a solar trickle charger. But there is a huge variation in battery outputs some cheaper batteries the cold cranking is below recommended. I am lucky as I searched one of our suppliers at work and they supplied me with a battery that has 850aa cold cranking .

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
There are a whole raft of new compact jumpstart/booster packs
coming onto the market based on laptop style battery tech.

All around the size of a paperback book, which will make them
pretty handy I reckon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All,

In the end I took RobMsport's advice and went for the next model up. RS102
At £145 used it this weekend and it started the 2.4D first time.
Really good, so would recommend.
The instructions said first time charge for 72 hours, but it came fully charged, well all the lights lite up, so I used it.
What I do with it until next time.....well.
Its about the same size as a electric screw driver box and it's in the garage waiting.
I'm sure it will come in handy, I want to "tat about" with my X1/9 this weekend, who's battery will probably need a charge, so I'll use it again just because I can.

Thanks for your comments,

Simon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If the car is in a garage with access to a power supply as mentioned above I'd go for a trickle charger as this will keep the battery fully charged with doing any damage. Jump starting it every few weeks with the battery then discharging over a period of time and then having a speedy limited charge by running the car will kill your battery fairly quickly. Ive got a 1982 Mk1 Golf GTI garaged every winter and use a CTek trickle charger. The battery is over 5 years old and the car is starts on the first few turns every time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts