Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am considering to upgrade(!) to a Giulietta QV from my 2004 1.9JTD GT which has come to 178K kms of age. As much as I drool when I see a Brera with TI package, the G seems to be a bit more practical and well the other is getting discontinued.

Although the diesel engine makes more sense for me who would like to drive a lot with some low rpm torque (as i did with the GT), I am tempted to go for the Cloverleaf, because it is so fun to drive :)) And also the diesel version will cost very close with similar options.

I'll list some options I would like to add on top of the standard QV (cloverleaf) package, and I hope you could give some advice, and make me feel justified to make a purchase which has more 'fun' in it than other logical stuff ;-)

(I live in Switzerland, and the order will be from either CH or Germany, so, the packages should be a bit different)

1 - Safe-Lock stuff with second key? The second key would be useful. But is the Safe-Lock thing car alarm, or is it the set of features like opening the trunk with locked doors, remote locking and stuff?

2 - I am passing up the full leather seats, as it seems too expensive on top of the standard part-leather seats. I read that a few others in AO also did the same, and the standard seats are comfortable and not so prone to wearing-off.

3 - I am going for the 'Comfort' package, which includes the arm rest, third head rest in the rear, height adjustable passenger seat, etc. G seems to lack good space in door pockets and glove box, so, it could be useful to have extra compartments to put stuff in.

4 - Visibility Package. The rain/light/tilt sensor stuff with electrochromic rear view mirror.

5 - Rear park sensors. Definitely useful for me as a parking-son victim. :)

6 - Passing up the expensive navigation system, and going for the premium CD/MP3 player with BOSE speaker system. (I felt that the sound differs a lot without the BOSE) Also, I am getting the Blue&Me and MyPort for the TomTom connection stuff. It would be nice to put a GPS without cables wound around from the cigarette lighter. Would any of the newer TomTom GPS modules fit to these thing? Do we need to buy extra software for Alfa Romeo connectivity?

7 - Special under-body protection. Well, CH being a bit snowy, it would be nice to have extra protection under the body from all the salt during winter time.

8 - Superclassic 18" alloy wheels. Normally, 17" would be good for me, but I am fed up cleaning multi-spokes on the GT :) 5-hole ones look cool on G, and exposes the red Brembo calipers enough, too ;-) (ok, that might mean exposing it to stone ships, etc, but still)

9 - Xenon lights. Well, I read somewhere how much better they are compared to halogens, and I have xenon's on the GT, too, so, I think these are nice to have, albeit a bit expensive, but would be a nice resale value booster.

10 - I think I'll pass on the electrically foldable side mirrors. Although Switzerland is a bit on the miser side in park space and road width, I never did it on the GT. Though, are the mirrors still heated without the folding thingy?

11 - Steel kick plates.

12 - Not going for the sunroof either. It does look cool on a white G, though.

13 - Ah, the color. The 8C red is too expensive. So, I was considering metallic Rosso Nuvolari, which is a dark red. However, after going through the posts in the Giulietta forum, now I am torn between white and Rosso Alfa. White does look a bit weird without the black sunroof, and Red conceals the rear lights. I guess I will go for the red.

Any advice would be appreciated, that would make me forget about the non-logical stuff and put the order as soon as possible, without further being distracted by thoughts like 'ooh, bmw 123d has 204PS on almost 5 lt/100km' :)

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hi Phantom,

I went from a 2006 147 jtdm to a cloverleaf and love it to bits.
Some of your options are different from those in the UK but i'll go through your questions and see what i can answer.
1, not sure what this is unless its a lockable glovebox - no lock on mine.
2, i went for full leather as i wasn't sure how the ribbed fabric would hold out over time. Some people have already commented on it bobbling, but others say it's still perfect after several thousand miles. It might be down to what trousers people wear?
3, Arm rest is standard here but all the other parts you mentioned are extras i had to purchase in order to get leather. Passenger seat height was moved on day 1 but has not been touched since.
Extra storage in front arm rest is quite useful.
4, vis pack is standard here and i like the auto wipers/lights and mirror. i have not been dazzled yet but it is a bit weird to see lights with a dim greenish tinge behind.
5, Rear parkers, i had these and they are very useful. There is a radar display on the dash when you go into reverse, however i'm usually looking behind me when i reverse so don't get to see them often.
6, Bose, i had this option too. Not majorly bassy but to me its quite a nice clear sound.
I have to change the bass setting on my ipod to get good bass. Other people have had vibrating speakers or distortion at volumes over 10. I have had mine pumping out music at 25-26 with no distortion or vibration (except for the junk my wife leaves in the door pocket. £800ish over here so could have just gone for replacement speakers and an aftermarket spare wheel sub, but i didn't want the hassle of either doing it myself or having some stereo shop aking my car apart.
7, that has to be your choice.
8, 5 hole wheels look great, but i wanted the dark 18" turbines that are standard on the qv here.
9, never had them so wouldnt miss them. I have never had a problem with halogens so didn't bother. To me it was leather or lights and leather won
10, I believe the mirrors don't fold much. Never needed them so didn't even consider them.
11, kick plates - are these the ones on the door steps? if so they are standard here.
12, I agree the sunroof looks great on a white G, but i couldn't stretch to that so i have had a carbon roof sticker instead. Gives a similar look to a sunroof but 1/4 the price.
13, colour is a personal choice. My first alfa (the 147) was Alfa Red. it just had to be. I just fancied white this time and i'm still happy with my choise. other choices were Alfa Red with black leather again or Magnesio, or Antracite with Red Leather.
Finally, BMW's are just too common :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply and advice, Alfred...
safe-lock thingy turns out to be the option to double lock the doors from in and out as an antitheft precaution, so, i am passing on that...
hoping to drive in a red giulietta in a few months' time, and become a part of the Alfa G-Unit ;-)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
1. With Safe-Lock you can't open the doors from inside when the car is empty and locked. I have it only because I had to take it in a package with the alarm.
2. I have half leather and it looks OK. Would prefer Alfatex, but you can't get it anymore.
3. Armrest is cool, I use it very frequently.
4. Have it as well. With DLRs it's pretty useful and I got used to automatic wipers with my previous car.
5. Don't have them but would get if I could afford.
6. MyPort is a nice feature, I have the Blue&Me TomTom 2 - it's not the best Nav system I used, but you have a touch screen + voice commands, which you won't get with the standard Nav.
7. ...
8. I love the dark turbines, but went for 17" instead (ah, Polish roads...).
9. Too expensive and I try not to drive at night if I don't have to.
10. The mirrors fold by a few cms only. Completely useless.
11. Have them, but they do not serve the purpose (should be on a bodywork part instead of plastic, right?). Look nice and very cheap though - I'd still take them.
12. Have it and love it. But it's not cheap, I agree. Should be a nice feature in a Swiss climate.
13. Go for Rosso Alfa - looks simply gorgeous :).

You will be satisfied with a QV no matter which option you will choose anyway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ended up going for the QV with:
Full leather and electric memory
Bose Sounds
Parking sensors
TomTom port.
I ended up going for the QV because if I had gone for the 1.4 170 Veloce, I would have also needed to spec:
Uprated Brakes/Red Calipers
Tinted Windows
18" Alloys
Vis PAck

By then the difference in price and hoping that Alfa would get it all right, it just made sense to get the Cloverleaf, and the extra happy that comes with buying a top dog range topper.
Sorry for dragging MPG into this but the extra fuel saved getting the 170 wasn't enough to convince me. I also get better MPG from the QV that I got from my old Mk5 Golf GT 170 with the first gen 1.4 TSi which seems so highly praised..
All said the QV is an awesome machine. It was bought to upgrade my GFs nothing car so I have something fun to drive at the weekends after driving a Discovery all week. It just makes you smile, the missus too, she loves her drive to work on country A roads, I wonder why?
Do it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to all for the support and info...

meanwhile, going for 17" wheels for winter tyres is not an issue when the summer tyres are 18", is it? obviously, a new set of rims need to be bought, but i hope there is no problem for the ride height/wheel arch when the tyre diameter is smaller.

i also wonder, whether the garages update parameters in the ECU when different size tyres are put on, so that the total mileage calculation is correct (i'm thinking it is based on rotation of the wheels)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
thanks to all for the support and info...

meanwhile, going for 17" wheels for winter tyres is not an issue when the summer tyres are 18", is it? obviously, a new set of rims need to be bought, but i hope there is no problem for the ride height/wheel arch when the tyre diameter is smaller.

i also wonder, whether the garages update parameters in the ECU when different size tyres are put on, so that the total mileage calculation is correct (i'm thinking it is based on rotation of the wheels)
As long as the correct profile 17's are fitted there should be no problem with speedo, odo, arch clearance or ride height. i'm sure a reputable tyre garage will be able to calculate and offer you the correct tyres.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The data is in the owner's book... For 17" you shall use 225/45 tyres.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, the manual says 225/45R17, but what I meant was whether the ride height is adjusted for smaller tyres, due to a wider gap between the wheel and the arches.

and for the mileage thing, i am guessing a car displays total number of kilometers travelled by counting the number of rotations of the wheels and multiplying that to the circumference of the wheels. so, when the tyre size changes this multiplier needs to be updated. ignoring cases where tyres turn but the car doesn't move (like a burnout), this should give an approximate enough number, right?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If you add wheel + tyre diameter and you're using the suggested ones, the difference is usually marginal. I could use 185/65R15 or 195/60R15 tyres on my 147 and the diff was 1,1% as far as I remember.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
yeah, the manual says 225/45R17, but what I meant was whether the ride height is adjusted for smaller tyres, due to a wider gap between the wheel and the arches.

and for the mileage thing, i am guessing a car displays total number of kilometers travelled by counting the number of rotations of the wheels and multiplying that to the circumference of the wheels. so, when the tyre size changes this multiplier needs to be updated. ignoring cases where tyres turn but the car doesn't move (like a burnout), this should give an approximate enough number, right?
I believe the overall circumference of the Giulettta's tyres on 16, 17 & 18 is the same.
It is just that the side wall is bigger on a 16 than on an 18, and the 17 is half way between these 2.
There are no changes done to ride heights due to tyre size changes.
I believe the QV is the only factory lowered G.
If you order a Lusso and go for the 17" option or a veloce and go for the 18" option there will be no suspension changes in the factory.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Sports suspension is just a bit stiffer springs.

·
Registered
35,747 Posts
I think the Sport suspension is lower by 20mm or so.A colleague says my Lusso on 18" 8C spoked wheels looks a bit like a meerkat.Envy ,I think

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
QV is 10mm lower than sports. Sports is exactly the same height as the normal one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts