Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of buyin a 147gta,i had a 156 sold that and got a 166 2.5litre but the headgasket went on that 3months after buying it,now im breaking the 166 and ive also got a subaru impreza turbo(which im selling),but i seen a 147gta few weeks ago and since then ive wanted 1..so i wanted to know whats the 147gta like,what problems do they have,hpw much does the road tax cost now,what insurance group is it in ( im 19 )

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You're 19? You'll struggle then, seeing as the GTA is in group 19 and TBH, it's expensive if you're 25, let alone 19!

I had a group 20 car when I was 22 with full NCB and that cost me £1500 FC. I wouldn't expect to see quotes less than £2500.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Insurance group 19 so I would be doing an online quote before you go any further!

Mine is £215pa Road Tax but may be different dependant on registration date?

A GTA is not cheap to run but they are usually owned by enthusiasts who understand this and treat them properly keeping regularly serviced - Fuel costs are high at low 20s mpg.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Insurance may have come down as the 147 GTA is now group 37 of 50 (iirc) rather than 19 of 20 although its still going to be expensive at 19. As long as you factor in around £750 a year for maintenance costs and keep it in good condition they dont seem to have any real reliability issues.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh insurance aint a problem really,im insured 2 drive any car.. does the 147 come in a 2.5 version or is the gta the onli fast 1 out the range?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The GTA is the only genuinely quick car in the range and looks by far the best (other modles lack the flared arches/GTA nose/rear etc). Costs will depend partly on mileage; I paid a little less for a 60k mile car knowing that I'd have to spend some money; I initially spend £1k+ on a clutch and suspension rebuild but otherwise it tends to be smaller stuff (in my case throttle potentiometer/brake bables etc). You'll ideally want the larger 330mm brakes and a Q2 diff so budget for those if the car doesn't have them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Basically AR's version of a slippy diff - makes a big difference to the handling and is good preventative maintenance as the original diff's are prone to going pop and damaging the gearbox casing in the process. Just search Q2 on the forum, there's loads of info.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Given the issues you had with your 166, I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you want an amazing motor get a GTA.

1) It looks like nothing else on the road. (you never walk away without looking back)
2) Its drives like no other car I’ve driven.
3) It’s really rare. (I have never seen another 147 GTA on the road)
4) People always stare and come and talk to you about the car.
5) Any sheep can drive a fast Audi, VW etc.

Just remember these cars need TLC, they drink fuel like its going out of fashion, servicing and parts are not cheep, but you really need to keep on to of it.

Finally I was 21 when I got my GTA, so go get one son!!!!!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i want 1 bad! that white 1 in mattb sig is the best looking gta i have ever seen ! is q2 a extra or do all gtas come with it as standard?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
No the Q2 never came as standard or an extra on the GTA. But most owners got one fitted later. if i am correct it was not available on any Alfa until after they had ceased producing GTAs. All you need to no is make sure you buy one with a Q2, if not get it done straight away. Its generally recognised that if you are going to put any mods on a GTA start with a Q2.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The Q2 is a must simple as that.

The brakes ideally need to be 330 as has been said and also depending on if its done 50k or is 5 years old will need the cambelt doing (big job) just what i would check for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, I was driving my Mum's old D reg Toyota Corolla when I was 19 - well done you young'uns getting into GTA's so early - just make sure you look after them ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts