Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I bought a brera 2.4 last June, and its been really good so far. Other than needing glow plugs as it got cold, nothing had been going wrong.

Last week the blowers stopped blowing hot air so I took it to my local indie garage who found no water in the system but when they filled it up, no leaks. There was no evidence of any water in the oil. Note, the car only ran a couple of miles with no water, not even warming up to 90.

I took the car back on monday to get some service work done, new aux belt and tensioner, an oil change + filter and an EGR cleanout. I got a call in the afternoon that the radiator header tank was broken, and probably the cause of the water leak. So they ordered a new one and fitted it today.

After they fitted it, they filled it with water, started the car and left it running to bleed as they went away to do other things.

I've been told there was then a loud bang, loads of smoke and the car sounded like a tractor. They turned the car off and the engine is now seized. Before telling me about the problem they've had a look over, and say they've done nothing wrong. They used a camera to check the turbo, the inlet side looked ok but covered with oil.

What should I do now? They have asked for permission to strip the car to find the problem.

Sorry about the essay but im clueless as to my rights!!! Thanks for any answers!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
The cooling system should be bled properly with the engine off not with it running, there are a 2 bleed points, on the heater hose and at the top of the rad, these are the high points where the air collects, running it wil, never get the air out and enough air in the cooling system will stop the coolant from circulating. Its like a u bend in reverse, you can pump one side all you like, if the top is full of air the water wont flow.

My guess is if they have just run the engine without bleeding it they have cooked it, the head will of warped and blown the head gasket and then they panicked and refilled the cooling system and its run into one or more cylinders and locked up... Take the oil cap off and smell it, it will smell burnt and take out the glow plugs and see if it cranks over.

Or another possible is they have overfilled it with oil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts