Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloooo,

I am having a bit of a nightmare with the tracking of my Alfa, not because of anything serious, but because of lack of competent and responsible mechanics. As I have no respect for incompetent mechanics, I will name them and shame them.

Ignorant mechanics no.1: Micheldever Tyres
Took the car for tracking, and the guys who use them will tell you, you first pay for their service, and then receive it...because they are trustworthy. So I did, as have had no problems in the past with my 155. but they did not fix the proble, car was still drifiting to the left. Went back and told them, they said tracking is find, it's my budget tyres that are causing this.
So, three months later, changed my tyres to Vredesteins, car kept drifting to the left. Went back and told them, and this is the response I got: "It's because it's a f*****g Alfa, they are a f*****g nightmare to do". So I thought to myself WOW...these cars are really complicated...I should be very proud for changing the cambelt and upper wishbones all by myself with no qualifications...yet here he is standing infront of me "qualified" mechanic selling me bull...droppings about alfas....I know it's not a fiesta, but still it's a fecking car mate, so get over it.

Ignorant Mechanic no.2: Bathwick Tyers Andover
Put the car on the ramp, checked the tracking, came to me and said the the back wheels are not adjustable, only the front one are, and once this is done, it will be ok.
I, the idiot, said ok. Charged me £32, drove the car away only to discover that it is still drifting to the left. So I decided to call Alfa and find out why is it so difficult, and they said that actually, it is not, and that the back wheels are fully adjustable. So I called ignorant mechanic no.2 to tell him about it, and he said he wasn't gonna fiddle with bolts he didn't know what they're there for!!!!!!! but should bring it over to check anyway. So I thought I'll go there for the comedy value. So they put it up the ramp again, and then 3 of them were looking how to adjust the back wheels...they finally cracked it or so they think...I totally believed them.
He said I should take it there and leave it with him cos it will take a while to get right, when I asked about the price, he said I would only pay the difference which is between 21-29 plus VAT. I said, that 's not very "fixed", and asked if they a fixed price for a 4wheel geometry? he said, if you take it to alfa they will charge you £130, I said it wouldn't cost that much at Merityre, to which he replied Merityre would charge me £120...so I said no they won't, and that I actually cheked, it's £70 VAT included. Then he said, ok , no more than £30 then....unbelievable. What he does not know is that I called his garage earlier and he quoted my £46.50 incl VAT for a 4wheel geometry...and they're totall worth it cos they are so good at their job.

So, I'm thinking, forgte about the £32 quid...go somewhere else. any recomendations?

PS...sorry about the ranting...had to get it out of my chest

you're very good listeneres :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
reason your car is tracking to left can be and usually is rack is not central ..ie one side is adjusted more than other .and power steering is fighting it thus the wandering

that is if all your suspension bushes ,arms are good mind

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did reolace rhe upper wishbones and can't hear or feel anything wrong with the susoension. I watched the guy at Micheldever rocking the suspension but he didn't mention anything beeing out of the ordinary. Hopefully the guys at AHM will look into this...I will mention it just to make sure though...and hope for the best...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I'm surprised at micheldever, a mate of mine is the manager there and he's been doing this for years, a lot of the trade in the area use them too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was more surprised than mate you when he used the "its a f****g alfa" excuse. I guess they don't need the money anymore. Mind you, will still buy my tyres there cos they're very competitivly priced. But I ain't rollin my ride for tracking there ever again...fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice....

Maybe you should let him know about the three musketeers at the tracking bay who sold me the bull - yes all three of them - Two convinced me that it was my budget tyres, the third one couldn't cos by that time, I fitted new ones so he sold me the ignorant mechanic's excuse... having top of the line equipement means nothing if the user is incompetent or simply cannot be bothered with a job that requires a bit more effort than what they fancy.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
4 wheel adjustment should put it right. It could be rear toe adjustment giving incorrect thrust angle or any of the other settings being out. The cheap alignment kit tyre fitting companies use can check the rear toe but they will very rarely adjust it and I would not trust that work to a tyre supplier.

I don't know what Adie will charge but I would trust him to get it spot on for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts