Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Mito is making a loud whistling like screeching sound for a few secs when it starts up. It doesn't always happen but started to happen more and more often. It first happened 6 months ago or so. We thought happening more often might be connected to recent weather conditions, so we took her in this morning.

I must say *touchwood* I am so far impressed with Western Edinburgh's service, They right away admitted there has been problems with certain Mito's and said there is temp solution and they will straight away do the modification and check the belt etc. While they took her in to do the work she did that sound again, But they can't seem to find any problems with belt or any other straight away parts they can check over. They said they never heard and had experience such a sound that might be the engine causing it. So they will register the fault with Alfa and in a fortnight will take her in for 2 days to check over thoroughly.

Also only done around 2300 miles so far. Anyone can shed a light or experienced the same situation?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mine's been doing it ever since it wouldn't start during the cold period (started and immediately cut out like it had done twice before the belt snapped so I walked away from it, went back to it hours later and it wouldn't even start any more, tried it again the next day and it screeched loudly for a few seconds and now does it for about half a second or so if it's starting from cold), I'm going to bring it up when it's back in getting the correct drainage pipe fitted to the passenger side.

Edit - 25th January:
Didn't screech today, yay!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's been doing it ever since it wouldn't start during the cold period (started and immediately cut out like it had done twice before the belt snapped so I walked away from it, went back to it hours later and it wouldn't even start any more, tried it again the next day and it screeched loudly for a few seconds and now does it for about half a second or so if it's starting from cold), I'm going to bring it up when it's back in getting the correct drainage pipe fitted to the passenger side.
Hmm fortunately ours never had any problem starting up just the sound. But dealer thinks belt seems to be fine on our Mito. So not sure what else would make that sound other than that. it is a bit worrying :(

·
Registered
435 Posts
I deal with Western Alfa Edinburgh too!!:D
And yes they have been pretty good so far (touch wood). Staff are always friendly there.
As for your screeching problem, my car does it once in a while too. Not sure if it's the same whistling noise as yours though. It's also been in for check ups but they haven't found anything wrong with it.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Might fix itself over the sunnier weather soon.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mine makes a high pitched whine when starting from cold, but "cold" is usually 28C here :) It could be coming from the aux belt tensioner. I had mine adjusted and greased previously, the sound went away but it came back after I drove through some deep puddles during the rainy season. I guess the grease could've been washed away by the water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I deal with Western Alfa Edinburgh too!!:D
And yes they have been pretty good so far (touch wood). Staff are always friendly there.
As for your screeching problem, my car does it once in a while too. Not sure if it's the same whistling noise as yours though. It's also been in for check ups but they haven't found anything wrong with it.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Might fix itself over the sunnier weather soon.
Yeah they seem to be very friendly so far and nice service, have good coffee too:). I guess, we just never been apart from Mito and they will take her in for 2 days :(

Mine makes a high pitched whine when starting from cold, but "cold" is usually 28C here :) It could be coming from the aux belt tensioner. I had mine adjusted and greased previously, the sound went away but it came back after I drove through some deep puddles during the rainy season. I guess the grease could've been washed away by the water.
28C, wow. Well you could be right about the water washing it away. One thing we don't lack in Scotland just rain, rain and more rain :rant:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine did that a couple of times (this was when it was too warm for the alternator to freeze).

I took the car in to the dealers on Friday to cure squeaky brakes and fix the water pipes. They called me to tell me that they have also ordered a new alternator belt.

Just take it into the dealers sooner rather than later.

Y

·
0 Posts
My Aux belt has just started squeaking tonight just as you touch the throttle from tick over! Sounds like it just needs tightening. Will Give Meridian Milano (in Bournemouth) a call tomorrow to get it checked out. Its only done 1800 miles but has been sat for the last 3 weeks or so as i managed to break my arm. Only started being used again last couple of days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine did that a couple of times (this was when it was too warm for the alternator to freeze).

I took the car in to the dealers on Friday to cure squeaky brakes and fix the water pipes. They called me to tell me that they have also ordered a new alternator belt.

Just take it into the dealers sooner rather than later.
I report back here once they check her over in a fortnight. *fingers crossed* will be a quick fix.

Y

·
0 Posts
Contacted my dealer who said 'Oh yeah there's a problem with the Alternator Belts on Mitos, Ill order one in'. Sounds like the drain pipes and Belt issue rearing its head again but its good that my dealer was aware of the issue and they are sorting on Thursday. They reckon only half an hour to do!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

ok we got a phone call from dealer yesterday about our Mito after handing her the day before. They checked her over and informed us, it is either a lazy clutch or noisy gearbox. They replaced the clutch this morning. That seemed to fix the screeching sound used to happen at the start up for a few secs. We will be picking her up tomorrow. Despite having another Mito as a courtesy car, not the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
GUYS LISTEN PLEASE...... if your getting a screeching noise from your mito or even a burning smell ( any model )

Then the problem is due to the drain tube hanging over the top of your air con and alternator which is causing the belt to slip.

Alfa are aware of the problem and they have made modified tubes so that the water drains drip on the floor not your pulleys,

In some cases the belt and tensioner will need to be replaced as some times they get damaged.

We have had some belts fall off.

Some times you can smell burning though the vents, this is the result of the belt slipping, any signs of this then contact your dealer, they are aware of this and will fix it on the 1ST visit as they should be keeping the parts on the shelf.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GUYS LISTEN PLEASE...... if your getting a screeching noise from your mito or even a burning smell ( any model )

Then the problem is due to the drain tube hanging over the top of your air con and alternator which is causing the belt to slip.

Alfa are aware of the problem and they have made modified tubes so that the water drains drip on the floor not your pulleys,

In some cases the belt and tensioner will need to be replaced as some times they get damaged.

We have had some belts fall off.

Some times you can smell burning though the vents, this is the result of the belt slipping, any signs of this then contact your dealer, they are aware of this and will fix it on the 1ST visit as they should be keeping the parts on the shelf.
In fact,They told us though Alfa will be coming up with a permanent fix soon. when we took our Mito to our dealer for the above modification, engineer heard the sound and wanted to take a good look at her. It was definetely not the belt for us doing it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fixed on 2010 models?

Hi! Im considering buying a Mito, but this problem with the alternator belt worries me. The dealer closest to me has 4 Mito's ready to be delivered. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed on Mito's built within the last months?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi! Im considering buying a Mito, but this problem with the alternator belt worries me. The dealer closest to me has 4 Mito's ready to be delivered. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed on Mito's built within the last months?
Not sure about latest ones, but our dealer said there will be a permanent fix and will be applied to all Mito's at some point. I wouldn't worry much about it as long as temporary adjustment done on yours. Mito is a great joy to own and drive in spite of couple of small hick-ups.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Cherub, I am pretty certain that this problem has only been reported on right hand drive UK models so probably nothing to worry about for you in Norway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice!

Sounds good, but the Mito is new on the norwegian market. February this year. So maybe the problem hasn't been documented yet. Anyway i think i now am ready to try the mito:)

·
Registered
694 Posts
The extra passenger side pipe needed for my car was fitted last week and I was told by the guy on the service desk that it was a RHD problem only due to some parts being mirrored and the drains not altered to suit.

If you go to a dealer and have a look under the bonnet of one you should be able to find the pipes and then see if they would drip onto anything important.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts